Storylines | City vs. Columbus Crew SC
Against the Crew...
The last time the Lions faced the Crew came two weeks ago on June 29 when they battled to a 2-0 victory over Saturday's opposition at MAPFRE Stadium. Chris Mueller and Tesho Akindele scored in that match, with Nani having registered an assist on both goals. The victory marked the first time the Lions have recorded back-to-back victories against the Crew in their history, as they defeated Saturday's opposition 2-1 in their 2018 home finale on October 21 of last year, and will look for a third consecutive victory on Saturday at Exploria Stadium.
Chris Mueller scored the Lions' lone goal on Wednesday in their U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal match against NYCFC, serving as his sixth goal across all competitions in 2019 and the first in the U.S. Open Cup in his career. Mueller has now scored a goal in three of the Lions last four matches in all contests and has doubled his total from last season of three just over halfway through this season. The Wisconsin-product has also registered three assists this season, trailing only Nani in goal contributions on the Lions' roster this season.
Prior to their matchup this weekend, the Lions and the Crew engaged in business with one another, with City acquiring 24-year old Brazilian midfielder Robinho from Columbus in exchange for $50,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Robinho has registered 19 appearances for Columbus this season with 13 starts and has recorded two assists in that span.
After registering another assist on Wednesday, Nani has now registered three assists in the Lions' last two contests, across all competitions. The Portuguese midfielder leads the Lions with eight goals and seven assists in MLS play, good for 15 goal contributions this season in 17 appearances.
On to the Semis
On Wednesday night, the Lions advanced to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinal round for the first time in Club history, prevailing in a penalty shootout over NYCFC after a 1-1 regulation. Goalkeeper Adam Grinwis recorded two saves in the shootout, including the game-clincher in the sixth round, denying Maxime Chanot's strike to the left side. City will now host Atlanta United in the Semifinal round at Exploria Stadium.
Chris Mueller's next assist will be his 10th as an MLS player.
Dom Dwyer is one goal away from 80 in MLS.
Dillon Powers' next goal will be his 15th in MLS and his first since March 20, 2016, when he scored for Colorado at DC United.
Lamine Sané is one appearance away from his 30th as a Lion in MLS play.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2019
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Draw New England 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Impact Hosts Rival Toronto FC Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Unveils Results for Best XI Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts the Philadelphia Union Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- Fans & Collectors Invited to Kick It at Sneakerhead Night, Presented by WSS on Friday Before Dynamo Host LAFC - Houston Dynamo
- Liga MX and Univision Deportes Announce Sellout for Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader July 14 - LA Galaxy
- #MINvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Madrid to Hold Public Training at Stade Saputo on July 17 - Montreal Impact
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Salt Lake
- Storylines | City vs. Columbus Crew SC - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Columbus Crew on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Vancouver on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- City Furniture and Orlando City Soccer Club Launch "Delivering Hope" Program, Donating Beds to 100 Kids at October 4 Pajama Party
- Orlando City SC to Expand Presence in Osceola County
- Orlando City SC Parts Ways with James O'Connor
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire