Preview: Orlando City Hosts Columbus Crew on Saturday
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (6-9-4, 22 points) hosts Columbus Crew SC (5-13-2, 17 points) on Saturday, July 13 at Exploria Stadium. Kickoff for the match is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET.
The match will be televised locally on My65 and available to stream on YouTube TV. It will also be broadcast on FM 96.6 The Game in English and La Nueva 990am in Spanish.
"Obviously another quick turnaround coming off of a historic moment for our football Club on Wednesday, but we're expecting another tough match against a quality opponent in Columbus," Head Coach James O'Connor said. "I think the big thing for us is to be mindful of the threats they pose while creating problems for them when we have the ball to hopefully get another result in front of our supporters."
On Saturday, City will look for their second victory over Columbus this season, having defeated the Crew 2-0 on June 29 with goals from Chris Mueller and Tesho Akindele in the win. A victory on Saturday would mark the Lions' third-consecutive over the Crew, having defeated them 2-1 in their 2018 home finale last season.
The Lions enter Saturday's match following a thrilling win on Wednesday night in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals over NYCFC. The two battled to a 1-1 result following regulation and extra time, forcing a penalty shootout where goalkeeper Adam Grinwis made two saves, including the game-winner in the sixth round to send the Lions through to the Semifinals. Mueller scored the lone goal for the Lions on the night in the 61st minute, with Nani registering the assist on that finish.
Nani leads the Lions with eight goals this season, followed by Akindele with six and Dom Dwyer and Mueller each with five. The City captain also leads the Club with seven assists in 2019.
Columbus comes into the game after a 2-1 loss to the Seattle Sounders this past Saturday. The Crew opened to scoring in the 13th minute when Pedro Santos converted from the penalty spot, but the Sounders responded with two goals from Nicolas Lodeiro in the second half. Lodeiro converted from the penalty spot in the 56th minute and then went on to score the game winner in the sixth minute of stoppage time to give the Sounders all three points at the death.
Gyasi Zardes leads the Crew with six goals this season, followed by Santos with five.
Following Saturday's match, the Lions will head out on the road to face the Portland Timbers on Thursday, July 18 at the newly-renovated Providence Park. They then face another quick turnaround, having to return home to host the New York Red Bulls on Sunday, July 21.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2019
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Draw New England 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Impact Hosts Rival Toronto FC Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Unveils Results for Best XI Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts the Philadelphia Union Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- Fans & Collectors Invited to Kick It at Sneakerhead Night, Presented by WSS on Friday Before Dynamo Host LAFC - Houston Dynamo
- Liga MX and Univision Deportes Announce Sellout for Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader July 14 - LA Galaxy
- #MINvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Madrid to Hold Public Training at Stade Saputo on July 17 - Montreal Impact
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Salt Lake
- Storylines | City vs. Columbus Crew SC - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Columbus Crew on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Vancouver on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- City Furniture and Orlando City Soccer Club Launch "Delivering Hope" Program, Donating Beds to 100 Kids at October 4 Pajama Party
- Orlando City SC to Expand Presence in Osceola County
- Orlando City SC Parts Ways with James O'Connor
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire