Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Los Angeles FC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo jumped out to an early lead over Los Angeles FC, but a pair of second-half goals gave the visitors a 3-1 win this evening at BBVA Stadium.
The Dynamo took the lead in the third minute after midfielder Tomás Martinez found forward Romell Quioto inside the box for the first goal of the game. The Honduran international dribbled past Steven Beitashour, who lost his footing, giving Quioto enough space to shoot between two LAFC defenders for his second goal in as many games.
Houston controlled the run of play for most of the first half and nearly hit the net inside of 60 seconds when forward Alberth Elis got free along the right flank and unleashed a thunderous shot that struck the crossbar.
Elis forced a save in the 22nd minute after he dribbled along the touchline and shot at the near post. A corner kick followed a minute later where Quioto found forward Mauro Manotas at the far post, but his header went over the crossbar.
Houston's pressure forced a goal-line save from LAFC defender Mohamed El-Munir in the 26th minute after the defender tracked Elis into the box. The Honduran international flicked the loose ball over goalkeeper Tyler Miller at the top of the box, but El-Munir recovered to prevent Houston's second goal of the game at the last possible instant.
Dynamo defender Adam Lundkvist found Elis a minute later as La Pantera sprinted past his defender into the top of the box. Elis attempted to chip Miller, but the LAFC 'keeper got a hand on the ball.
Houston almost equalized in the 82nd minute after Quioto found Elis at the far post, but his effort was saved by Miller.
After staying close thanks to Miller's efforts, LAFC equalized minutes before the end of the first half after midfielder Lee Nguyen found forward Adama Diomande at the back post with an arching cross. The forward's header snuck under the top corner of the far post to level the game just prior to halftime.
Diomande doubled his tally early in the second half, again off an assist from Nguyen. The LAFC forward beat Dynamo goalkeeper Joe Willis at the near post with a low shot to the bottom corner. The visitors capped the scoring in the 88th minute when forward Diego Rossi's shot deflected off the foot of a Dynamo defender and up and over Willis for the third and final goal.
The Dynamo hit the road for a pair of matches next week, visiting defending MLS Cup champions Atlanta United FC on Wednesday (6 p.m. CDT | KUBE 57, TeleXitos) then traveling north of the border to face 2017 MLS Cup winners Toronto FC on Saturday night (6:30 p.m. | KUBE 57, TeleXitos).
Houston returns home on Wednesday, July 24 for the BBVA Classic against Club América to kick off the inaugural Leagues Cup tournament. That match is scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. CDT kickoff, with tickets starting at $20.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2019
- Dynamo Fall 3-1 to Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Draw New England 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Impact Hosts Rival Toronto FC Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Unveils Results for Best XI Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts the Philadelphia Union Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- Fans & Collectors Invited to Kick It at Sneakerhead Night, Presented by WSS on Friday Before Dynamo Host LAFC - Houston Dynamo
- Liga MX and Univision Deportes Announce Sellout for Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader July 14 - LA Galaxy
- #MINvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United FC vs. FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Madrid to Hold Public Training at Stade Saputo on July 17 - Montreal Impact
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Salt Lake
- Storylines | City vs. Columbus Crew SC - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: First Edition of the 2019 New York Derby Set for Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts Columbus Crew on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Vancouver on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City