Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday as it travels to face Portland Timbers at Providence Park in a rematch of MLS Cup 2018. The match is set to kick-off at 10 p.m. ET and will be nationally broadcast on FS1. For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and game notes.
Atlanta enters the match in second place in the Eastern Conference standings, trailing Philadelphia Union by three points with a game in hand, while Portland sits in the seventh and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
This will be the third regular season meeting all-time between the clubs and Atlanta's second trip to Providence Park. Both regular season matches ended in 1-1 draws with Julian Gressel scoring for Atlanta in each match. The two sides last met in the 2018 MLS Cup at Mercedes-Benz Stadium where Atlanta lifted its first trophy after defeating the Timbers 2-0 behind goals from MLS Cup MVP Josef Martinez and Franco Escobar.
Atlanta won its second trophy in club history Wednesday night, defeating Liga MX champions Club América 3-2 to win Campeones Cup at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Emerson Hyndman, Jeff Larentowicz and Josef Martinez scored for Atlanta, as the club became the first MLS side to win Campeones Cup.
In its last league match, Atlanta defeated New York City FC 2-1 Aug. 11 behind a brace from Josef Martinez, his MLS leading 18th multi-goal performance since 2017. Martinez extended his scoring streak to 10 consecutive MLS matches, breaking the record he set last season. With his 70th career league goal, he also passed Bradley Wright-Phillips for the most goals scored in any three-year span in league history (68 from 2014-16).
Sunday, Aug. 18 | Providence Park, Portland, OR |10 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (13-9-3, 42 points) vs. Portland Timbers (11-9-4, 37 points)
English TV | FS1
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
9 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
9:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 16, 2019
- Impact Hosts FC Dallas Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for Saturday's Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers - Atlanta United FC
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Orlando City SC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Toronto FC at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts League-Leading Los Angeles FC Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Postseason Berth on Saturday Night against Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- #MTLvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC to Hire Sporting Director; Global Search Underway - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium Under New Leadership - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Sporting Back Home Saturday to Host San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution