Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium Under New Leadership
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo return to BBVA Stadium on Saturday host Tim Howard and the Colorado Rapids for Star Wars Night: Episode 4.
Festivities include a halftime performance from America's Got Talent semifinalist Greg Morton. The voice actor is currently competing in the final rounds of America's Got Talent after he astonished the judges with Star Wars impressions during his audition. Fans will also have the opportunity to take photos with more than 20 Star Wars characters around the concourse throughout the evening.
On the field, interim head coach Davy Arnaud will make his debut on Saturday after being named to the post on Tuesday. The Nederland, Texas native will look to guide Houston to its first victory at BBVA Stadium since July 3 when the Dynamo shutout the New York Red Bulls 4-0.
Three players made their Dynamo debut over the two-game road trip as defender Jose Bizama started and played 90 minutes in Houston's 2-1 loss at Talen Energy Stadium last Sunday against the Philadelphia Union. Forward Christian Ramirez scored Houston's lone goal of the game on Sunday only days after joining the club via a trade at the MLS transfer deadline. Forward Niko Hansen also joined the Dynamo in Pennsylvania and made his Dynamo debut after coming off the bench in the final 10 minutes of the game.
The Colorado Rapids enter Saturday's game with two victories in their last three games and signs of life after opening the year with nine losses out of their first 11 games. The Rapids earned two points through the first 12 weeks of the season and defeated the LA Galaxy 1-0 on the road on May 19 for their first victory of the year. Colorado's first three points of the season came off Andre Shinyashiki's left foot after he capitalized on a loose ball near the penalty spot after Kei Kamara forced a save.
The Dynamo look to win the season series after they defeated Colorado 4-1 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on March 30. Memo Rodriguez gave Houston an early lead against the Rapids and Elis forced two own goals before adding a goal to his tally. The Rapids own the all-time series by a single game with a 10-11-8 record and Houston have dominated at home with a 6-3-4 record in the series.
Houston Dynamo vs. Colorado Rapids
Saturday, Aug. 17 - 8:00 p.m. CDT
KUBE 57 - Glenn Davis and Eddie Robinson
Univision Radio 1010 AM - Daniel Mejia & Lester Gretsch
Here are three key points ahead of Sunday's game:
UNDER NEW LEADERSHIP - Houston enters Saturday's match under new leadership after back-to-back losses on the East Coast that doubled Houston's losing streak to four matches. Davy Arnaud was named the interim head coach on Tuesday evening and will manage the team for the remaining regular season games. Houston's bid for a playoff spot will need to come away from home as the Dynamo close the regular season with five of their last eight games on the road.
OFFENSE KEY TO BREAKING SLUMP - Houston will look to recapture its form at home and makeup points lost over a challenging summer stretch. Houston has won seven out of 13 games at BBVA stadium and have outscored opponents 24-14, which ranks in the top half of the Western Conference. The Dynamo will look to Christian Ramirez and Memo Rodriguez to compliment Alberth Elis and Mauro Manotas up top as the Dynamo navigate suspensions due to yellow card accumulation and ejections over the last two weeks.
RAPIDS LOOK FOR PROGRESS IN FINAL STRETCH -More than half of Colorado's goals have been scored by Kei Kamara, Andre Shinyashiki and Diego Rubio who have combined for 23 goals this season. The midfield is directed by Jack Price who leads the team in assists with eight. This is Price's second season with the club after spending seven years in his native England with Wolverhampton Wanderers. Prince and the Rapids will spend most of the final stretch on the road. The Rapids are currently in the middle of a four-game road trip after visiting Minnesota on Wednesday and travel to Salt Lake next weekend for Heineken Rivalry Week and the second leg of the Rocky Mountain Cup. The Rapids wrap up the month with a cross-country trip to New Jersey to face the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 16, 2019
- Impact Hosts FC Dallas Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for Saturday's Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers - Atlanta United FC
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Orlando City SC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Toronto FC at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts League-Leading Los Angeles FC Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Postseason Berth on Saturday Night against Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- #MTLvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC to Hire Sporting Director; Global Search Underway - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium Under New Leadership - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Sporting Back Home Saturday to Host San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Joins Major League Soccer for 'MLS UNITES' Campaign in Response to COVID-19
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Kiki Struna Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed