Whitecaps FC to Hire Sporting Director; Global Search Underway
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that the club has opened an extensive global search to hire a sporting director who will lead the technical direction of the club at all levels. The sporting director will report to ownership, eliminating the role of president from the club structure.
"These are exciting times in MLS with the league growing at an unprecedented rate both on and off the pitch," said Jeff Mallett, Whitecaps FC co-owner. "We are committed to taking the 'Caps to the next level, to being championship contenders. We've invested heavily in our soccer operations, from facilities to coast-to-coast soccer programming for boys and girls. Bringing in a sporting director is the next step to take the club forward."
The sporting director will be a proven leader who brings exceptional soccer expertise to the club. The individual will have a vast understanding and knowledge of scouting and recruitment in the global market, maximize the advantages of a sport performance model, and embrace youth development.
With the change in club structure, president Bob Lenarduzzi will transition to a new role as club liaison. Building on his 45 years of experience with the club, Lenarduzzi will work closely with ownership and club executives to represent the club locally, nationally, and internationally.
"Whitecaps FC would not be Whitecaps FC without Bob Lenarduzzi," added Mallett. "His knowledge, relationships, and history with this club is unparalleled and will be invaluable as we enter our next chapter."
"For me, I'm incredibly passionate about representing this club and brand here at home," said Lenarduzzi. "With the league growing the way it is, now is the right time to inject new leadership into the soccer side of our organization. I am proud to have been with the club every step of the way, and I'm very excited to continue working with our partners at home and abroad as we look toward to the biggest milestone in Canada's soccer history in 2026."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 16, 2019
- Impact Hosts FC Dallas Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Advise Fans to Arrive Early for Saturday's Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Portland Timbers - Atlanta United FC
- Playoff Picture | City in the Mix - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Orlando City SC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Toronto FC at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts League-Leading Los Angeles FC Saturday in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Looks to Clinch Postseason Berth on Saturday Night against Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- #MTLvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC to Hire Sporting Director; Global Search Underway - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to BBVA Stadium Under New Leadership - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Sporting Back Home Saturday to Host San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Join Forces with Doctors of BC to Support Message to #StayHome
- Whitecaps FC Statement on Extending the Suspension of MLS Matches
- Whitecaps FC Statement on COVID-19
- Ricketts goal lifts 'Caps to away victory over LA Galaxy
- Sporting Kansas City Takes Opener over Whitecaps