Marchment Leads Grizzlies to 5-4 Road Win
Wichita, Kansas - Jake Marchment scored 2 goals, including the game winner with 1:55 remaining in regulation as the Utah Grizzlies defeated the Wichita Thunder 5-4 on Wednesday morning.
The scoring got started with a wild 2 minute stretch that saw four goals scored, 2 per team. The Grizzlies got on the board as Caleb Herbert does it again. He scored his league leading 11th goal of the season to give Utah a 1-0 lead 8:52 into the period. Wichita scored as Matt Schmalz tied things up 45 seconds later. The Thunder took a lead 39 seconds later on a Steven Iacobellis goal. 20 seconds later, Tim McGauley tied up the game 2-2. It's the second straight game McGauley has scored a goal in.
Wichita took a 3-2 lead 15:40 into the first period as former Grizzlies forward Ralph Cuddemi scored his third goal of the season. Cuddemi has a goal in back to back games.
The lone goal in the second period as Jake Marchment scored his first of two goals on a fancy between the legs pass from Ryan Walters, to tie the game at 3-3. Walters, Ryan Misiak and Kevin Davis each had 2 assists for the Grizzlies, who go to 6-1-3 on the year. They open up the year with standings points in 9 of their first 10 games.
Wichita took a 4-3 lead as Travis Brown scored 5:17 into the third period. Utah tied things up 22 seconds later as Nolan De Jong scored from out near the blue line. It was De Jong's first goal for Utah. He had 2 goals for the Colorado Eagles last season.
It remained 4-4 until it was Jake Marchment giving the Grizzlies the game winning goal with 1:55 left. De Jong and Walters got the assists on the game winner. De Jong had 1 goal and 1 assist, both points coming in the third period. De Jong and Kevin Davis each were a plus 4 on the game.
Joe Cannata has won in back to back road games in goal for Utah. He stopped 19 of 23 shots. Cannata is now 4-1-2 on the year. Stuart Skinner got the loss for Wichita to go to 3-1 on the year. Skinner stopped 35 of 40 Grizzlies shots. Utah outshot Wichita 40 to 23.
Neither team scored on the power play. Utah was 0 for 6 on the power play. Wichita was 0 for 4 on the man advantage.
The last game of the 5 game road trip is Friday night at Wichita. 6:00 pm Mountain time. Catch the game on ESPN 700/ECHL.TV.
3 stars of the game
3. Ryan Misiak, Utah. 2 assists.
2. Steven Iacobellis, Wichita. 1 goal.
1. Jake Marchment, Utah. 2 goals. GWG. 4 shots on goal.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies during road win at Wichita
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 7, 2018
- Four Unanswered Lift Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Fight Hard, But Fall in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- A New Day: Mariners Get First Road Win in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack Win Streak Halted with 5-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Stymied vs. Maine, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Railers Drop Franchise High Fifth Straight in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win 4th Straight with Victory over Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Moose Assign Defenseman to IceMen - Jacksonville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - November 7 - ECHL
- Marchment Leads Grizzlies to 5-4 Road Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Ethan McClean Is Coming to America to Meet the Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Loses 5-4 to Utah in Kids Day Game - Wichita Thunder
- Hunter Fejes Receives PTO from Rockford IceHogs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, November 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Welcome 8,000 Local Students - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Stick to Reading Back for 2018-19 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Worcester Railers HC Bolsters Corporate Partnerships Department - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Seeks 4th Straight Win, Maine Visits for First Time - Reading Royals
- Americans Fall to KC 4-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.