Royals Stymied vs. Maine, 4-2
Reading, PA - Alex Krushelnyski and Charlie Vasaturo scored, but Maine Mariners netminder Chris Nell blocked 34 shots and prevented the Reading Royals from tying in the third to give Maine a 4-2 win Wednesday at Santander Arena. Vasaturo tallied at 2:10 of the third, his first since joining Reading. Sean Day (2g, 1a) answered 59 seconds later to extend Maine's edge back to 4-2.
Krushelnyski's first-period goal extended his team points lead (3g, 11 pts.). He has three points (1g) in the season series vs. Maine. Michael Huntebrinker assisted on the goal and is riding a career-long eight-game point streak.
Maine forward and Haverford, PA native Ryan Ferrill scored an insurance goal at 6:49 of the second on a left-circle shot, moving the Mariners edge to 3-1.
Angus Redmond made 18 saves (4 GA) and was pulled three minutes into the third. In relief, Branden Komm blocked 10 shots.
The teams combined for three goals in the first and Maine scored the first two goals.
The Royals are at Adirondack Fri., Nov. 9 at 7:00 p.m. On Saturday, Reading returns home to host Adirondack on MOVEMBER Men's Cancer Awareness Night, with a team picture giveaway pres. by Rieck's Printing (photo courtesy of Purdon Photography).
The Mariners scored the opening two goals in the first period, but a late-frame strike from Krushelnyski cut into the Maine lead and made it 2-1 after one.
Day scored the first goal on a seeing-eye, left-point wrist shot, his first professional goal at 5:06 of the first. Scott Savage bagged a short-handed goal on a wrist shot from the left circle, assisted by Hayden Verbeek. It was the first short-handed goal the Royals have surrendered this season.
Krushelnyski scored 1:23 later on the power play. On the rush, he centered from the left circle off a Mariners stick and it nicked over Nell's left shoulder. Steven Swavely registered the only assist. The Royals were 1-for-4 on the man up.
With the Royals down, 3-1, entering the third, Vasaturo aimed a right-point shot through Nell's legs with 2:10 elapsed in the third, assisted by Steven Swavely.
Reading killed three of Maine's four power-play opportunities.
"Movember" Night vs. Adirondack: Nov. 10, 7:00 p.m.
Game 1 of our 3-game partnership with American Cancer Society - Package here
Special Olympics Night vs. Newfoundland: Nov. 16, 7:00 p.m.
Veteran's Day Game with rally towel giveaway vs. Newfoundland: Nov. 17, 7:00 p.m.
First 2,500 fans receive a rally towel, pres. by UGI Utilities. Double-ampute, Eagle Scout and Sixers anthem singer Ron C. Brooks will perform the Star Spangled Banner.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 7, 2018
- Four Unanswered Lift Cyclones to Victory - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Fight Hard, But Fall in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- A New Day: Mariners Get First Road Win in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Adirondack Win Streak Halted with 5-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Stymied vs. Maine, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Railers Drop Franchise High Fifth Straight in 5-2 Loss in Newfoundland - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Win 4th Straight with Victory over Railers - Newfoundland Growlers
- Moose Assign Defenseman to IceMen - Jacksonville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - November 7 - ECHL
- Marchment Leads Grizzlies to 5-4 Road Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Ethan McClean Is Coming to America to Meet the Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Loses 5-4 to Utah in Kids Day Game - Wichita Thunder
- Hunter Fejes Receives PTO from Rockford IceHogs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, November 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- IceMen Welcome 8,000 Local Students - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Stick to Reading Back for 2018-19 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Worcester Railers HC Bolsters Corporate Partnerships Department - Worcester Railers HC
- Reading Seeks 4th Straight Win, Maine Visits for First Time - Reading Royals
- Americans Fall to KC 4-1 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Swavely Scores in Final Minute to Tie, Worcester Takes Skills Competition, 3-2
- Royals Game Day: Morning Hockey in Worcester
- 3-D Jerseys Featured on ESPN, NBC Sports, with More to Come
- Adirondack Sneaks by Reading, 3-1
- Royals Acquire G Lotz for Future Considerations