Magic Defeat Wolves to Clinch Playoff Berth
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, won their fifth-straight game and defeated the Iowa Wolves 114-94 at the AdventHealth Arena to clinch a playoff berth.
The Magic got off to the largest scoring run to start a game in franchise history, taking an 18-0 lead in the first. Devin Cannady scored 10 points (4-4 FG) in the first eight minutes, guiding Lakeland to a 37-20 lead at the end of the first. Iowa stormed back in the second and cut the deficit to just three points behind big quarters from Canyon Barry and Zylan Cheatham. The Magic led by seven points going into halftime.
Lakeland extended the lead to 10 points in the third quarter before pulling away in the final period to win by 20. The Magic outrebounded the Wolves in the game 59-41.
Robert Franks led all scorers with a season-high 25 points, 12 rebounds, and five made threes. Cannady finished with 17 points, seven assists and four rebounds. DJ Hogg added 16 points and five rebounds.
Ade Murkey posted 16 points, three rebounds and one steal. Canyon Barry came off the bench to score 15 points, four assists and two rebounds. Charlie Brown Jr. finished with 14 points, two rebounds, one assist and one steal.
The Lakeland Magic are back at it tomorrow against the Raptors 905 for their final game of the regular season. Tipoff is scheduled for 11:00 AM at the AdventHealth Arena. The game can be seen on ESPN+. The NBA G League playoffs will begin on Monday, March 8. In the four seasons since the Lakeland Magic began, they have never missed the playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 5, 2021
- Blue Coats Hold Stars to NBA G League Season-Low 83 Points in Third Straight Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- Vipers Clinch Playoffs in Snapping Warriors Nine-Game Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Warriors Fall to Vipers 110-94 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Salt Lake City Stars Complete 2021 NBA G League Season - Salt Lake City Stars
- Knicks End Season on High Note Beating League-Leading Erie, 130-124 - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Defeat Wolves to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lakeland Magic
- Thunder Recalls Pokusevski - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wolves Drop Season Finale to Lakeland - Iowa Wolves
- Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne - Greensboro Swarm
- Mitrou-Long's Triple Double Paces Fort Wayne Past Greensboro - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Valiant Effort Down the Stretch by Knicks But Clippers Prevail - Westchester Knicks
- Oklahoma City Drops Close Contest to Erie - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Players Receive First Team All-NBA G League, All-Defensive Team and All-Rookie Team Honors
- Lakeland Magic and Mosaic to Donate $50,100 to Fight Local Hunger
- Stan Heath Named NBA G League Coach of the Year
- Magic Defeat Warriors to Advance to G League Finals
- Magic Defeat BayHawks to Advance to G League Semifinals