Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne
(ORLANDO, F.L.) - The Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, outscored the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (Indiana Pacers affiliate) by 11 points in the second half but the comeback came up shy in a narrow, 111-107, defeat at AdventHealth Arena at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort on Friday.
Fort Wayne (6-9) held a 64-49 lead at intermission behind 45 percent shooting, including nine 3-pointers. However, the Swarm came out strong in the second half by shooting 50 percent in the third quarter. Greensboro (4-10) pulled ahead several times in the quarter but would trail, 87-83, going into the final 12 minutes of the game.
The fourth quarter was tight throughout with both teams within two possessions for the majority of the time. The back-and-forth would continue into the final moments where the Mad Ants were able to hold on via the free throw line.
Hornets assignment player Nick Richards had a team-high 21 points to go with nine rebounds in 23 minutes off the bench for the Swarm. Kobi Simmons continued to play well, scoring 17 points to go with nine assists and two steals in 39 minutes. Two-Way player Nate Darling chipped in 16 points while Ray McCallum added 15 points, five assists and five rebounds. Vernon Carey Jr., also on assignment, had his sixth double-double of the single-site with 11 points and 13 rebounds in 25 minutes.
Fort Wayne had two 22-point scorers, Naz Mitrou-Long and Devin Robinson. Fellow starters Cassius Stanley (19 points) and Brian Bowen II (18 points) had strong efforts as well. Daxter Miles Jr. scored 14 points to lead all Mad Ants reserves.
The Swarm conclude the 2021 NBA G League single-site on Saturday, March 6, against the Agua Caliente Clippers (Los Angeles Clippers affiliate). The finale is set for a 7:30 p.m. ET tip-off inside HP Field House and the contest will be streamed on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 5, 2021
- Blue Coats Hold Stars to NBA G League Season-Low 83 Points in Third Straight Win - Delaware Blue Coats
- Vipers Clinch Playoffs in Snapping Warriors Nine-Game Winning Streak - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Warriors Fall to Vipers 110-94 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Salt Lake City Stars Complete 2021 NBA G League Season - Salt Lake City Stars
- Knicks End Season on High Note Beating League-Leading Erie, 130-124 - Westchester Knicks
- Magic Defeat Wolves to Clinch Playoff Berth - Lakeland Magic
- Thunder Recalls Pokusevski - Oklahoma City Blue
- Wolves Drop Season Finale to Lakeland - Iowa Wolves
- Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne - Greensboro Swarm
- Mitrou-Long's Triple Double Paces Fort Wayne Past Greensboro - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Valiant Effort Down the Stretch by Knicks But Clippers Prevail - Westchester Knicks
- Oklahoma City Drops Close Contest to Erie - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm, PNC Bank Team up for Third Season to Support Guilford Child Development
- Hornets Recall Vernon Carey Jr. and Nick Richards from Greensboro Swarm
- Simmons Shines as Swarm Conclude Single-Site Season
- Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne
- Greensboro Swarm Fall to Lakeland Magic