Lumberkings win series opener
The ever-improving Michael Schlact (6-4; 4.26) delivered his best start as a pro, holding the Whitecaps to one unearned run on six hits and a walk in seven innings of work. The 6'7" right hander selected in the third round of the 2004 draft out of a Georgia high school fanned only one, but induced 14 ground ball outs against just five fly outs.
And now this from the "don't break your arm patting yourself on the back" department. While in Surprise this spring, I wrote the following (3 / 19 Report): "The Rangers took switch-hitting Georgia Tech center fielder Brandon Boggs in the fourth round last year and Boggs struggled terribly in the NWL, hitting .235 / .373 / .369 in 149 at-bats for Spokane, going .221 / .343 / .345 from the left side and .278 / .458 / .444 from the right. Yesterday morning, I watched Boggs take BP and, as he laced line drive after line drive into the gaps, I found it impossible to believe that he wasn't an all-star in the NWL. He's going to move forward."
And in my review of June (7 / 2 Report) I advised you to "Keep an eye on Brandon Boggs, a 2004 fourth round selection out of Georgia Tech who has struggled terribly throughout his brief pro career. Though he hit just .239, he reached base at a .350 clip and showed some power, slugging .463 with four homers [in June]."
Boggs (.291 / .392 / .518) continued to make me look prescient yesterday, going 2-4 with a homer, improving to an absurd .500 / .565 / .850 with two dingers, 11 RBIs and three stolen bases through the first week of play in July.
Emerson Frostad (.271 / .361 / .450) doubled twice in four trips to drive in one and reliever Mike Padgett (2.47) returned to form after a rough outing six days ago, allowing one run on three hits and no walks while fanning three over the final two frames for the 7-9 LumberKings.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 9, 2005
- Whitecaps blow late lead - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hicklen, Homers Lead Bees Over Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Swing snap streak at six wins with three-run eighth - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Swing rally to win thriller - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Anderson and Core team up as Lugnuts win, 5-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Timber Rattlers Double Up Chiefs, 10-5 - Peoria Chiefs
- Quiet Offense Ends Cougars' Winning Streak - Kane County Cougars
- DuelFest - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons score on wild play to cap-off two-run, ninth inning comeback - Dayton Dragons
- Big fifth inning lifts Wisconsin to win over Chiefs - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Take Second Straight From Snappers - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs in Midst of Six Game Homestand - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Add Catcher Douillard from Boise - Peoria Chiefs
- Mitch Arnold rejoins Kernels; Miguel Gonzalez reassigned to Mesa - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lumberkings win series opener - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.