Losing Skid Reaches Season-High Five Games
The Winnipeg Goldeyes are now in the midst of a season-high five-game losing streak.
Thursday night in Quebec City, the Quebec Capitales needed only two hours and 14 minutes to beat the Goldeyes 10-1 in the opening game of a four-game series and a 10-game Can-Am League road swing.
Capitals second baseman Jonathan Malo hit a grand slam home run in the second inning as the Capitales jumped on Goldeyes starter Justin Garcia early and romped to a win in front of a full house of 4,119 at Quebec Stadium.
The Capitales scored four runs on only one hit and three walks off Garcia, who was yanked after an inning and two thirds. Gabe Aguilar came out of the bullpen and pitched 4 1/3 innings, allowing six runs on seven hits as the Goldeyes fell to 24-26 on the season. Quebec improved to 33-18.
The Goldeyes, now at the midway point of the campaign, are five games back of Fargo in the race for first in the American Association's North Division.
Quebec scored five runs in the second, two in the fourth and three more in the fifth. The Goldeyes only run came in the third when Fehlandt Lentini doubled, stole third and scored on a ground out by Luis Alen.
The Goldeyes mustered only three hits on the night, one each by Tyler Graham, Ray Sadler and Lentini.
The winning pitcher for Quebec was Canadian Karl Gelinas (6-2, 1.95 ERA). Garcia (5-2, 4.31 ERA) took the loss. Chad Jones pitched three innings in relief and picked up his first save of the season.
The Goldeyes and Capitales go at it again Friday night at 6 p.m. CDT at Quebec Stadium. Matt Rusch (4-3, 4.50 ERA) will get the start for Winnipeg at the place where he started his career in independent baseball. The game can be heard live on TSN 1290. The pre-game show with Paul Edmonds begins at 5:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2013
- Wichita Pitchers Get the Best of Kansas City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Ronick Dominates Fargo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Burns Nails as Saltdogs Come Back Late - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Hamburger Sizzles as Saints Take Game one Over AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Throws Three-Hitter to Beat Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Hamburger Returns to Texas and Throws Complete Game Six-Hit Shutout as Saints Win 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Losing Skid Reaches Season-High Five Games - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 11th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 11-14 series against the St. Paul Saints at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Announce Upcoming Promotions - Laredo Lemurs
- Sioux Falls Downs Explorers 6-3 - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.