Moore Throws Three-Hitter to Beat Sioux City
SIOUX FALLS - What eluded a Sioux Falls Canaries pitcher for four years has now happened twice.
For the second time in three days, a Canaries hurler went the distance and shut out an opponent. This time, Ben Moore threw a three-hit, complete-game shutout to defeat the Sioux City Explorers 8-0 on Thursday night at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Former big leaguer Pat Mahomes was the last to throw a shutout in 2009 until Kyle Ruwe did so on Tuesday night against Lincoln. But Moore (6-3) bested his fellow veteran's five-hit shutout by allowing just four base runners on three base hits and one walk. He struck out seven batters while seeing three over the minimum. Moore's performance was made more impressive by the fact that he was battling a cold, he told the Canaries broadcast team after the game.
Moore did not allow a base hit until the fifth inning, and he needed just 95 pitches to in a speedy two-hour-and-15-minute affair.
Meanwhile, the Canaries' bats provided plenty of run support. Tim Pahuta cracked a two-out single in the first inning to score Nick Van Stratten. An unearned run scored in the second, and Van Stratten had an RBI hit in the fourth. After another run in the fifth, the Birds unloaded for four runs in the sixth inning on back-to-back, two-run doubles by Jared Clark and Pahuta.
Pahuta finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and three RBI. For the seventh straight game, Van Stratten had multiple hits, going 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored. He bolstered his season average to .365. Jared Clark was 2-for-2 with three walks and two RBI.
Sioux City starter Ryan Lucero (0-1) took the loss in his first professional start. He yielded four runs, three earned, and seven hits in 4 2/3 innings. He walked three and struck out three.
The Canaries (21-32) continued their hot play, improving to 7-3 in July and winning their eighth of the last 11 contests. They have won the first two games of the four-game series against Sioux City (23-28).
The Canaries continue the four-game series against the Sioux City Explorers at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, July 11, at Sioux Falls Stadium. Friday Fireworks follow the game, sponsored by Orthopedic Institute and All-Star Fireworks. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM, 98.1-FM KWSN and kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2013
- Wichita Pitchers Get the Best of Kansas City - Kansas City Monarchs
- Ronick Dominates Fargo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Burns Nails as Saltdogs Come Back Late - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Hamburger Sizzles as Saints Take Game one Over AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Throws Three-Hitter to Beat Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Hamburger Returns to Texas and Throws Complete Game Six-Hit Shutout as Saints Win 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Losing Skid Reaches Season-High Five Games - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 11th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 11-14 series against the St. Paul Saints at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Announce Upcoming Promotions - Laredo Lemurs
- Sioux Falls Downs Explorers 6-3 - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.