Burns Nails as Saltdogs Come Back Late
LINCOLN -- Mike Burns was terrific on the hill as the Saltdogs (30-23) came back to beat the Amarillo Sox (29-23) 3-2 in front of 2,899 fans at Haymarket Park Thursday night.
Burns (3-3) went eight innings, allowing two runs on eight hits while striking out six and walking one to earn the win. After allowing a two-run homer to Joe Weik in the first, Burns was impenetrable in his final seven innings, working out of several jams with zero or one out.
The greatest feat took place in the top of the fifth, when Amarillo got runners to second and third with no outs but Burns got out of the inning unscathed.
Jason Johnson (4-3) pitched a complete game, allowing three runs - two earned - on seven hits while walking zero and striking out five but suffered the loss.
Lincoln tied the game in a the sixth on a Brian Wuest RBI double to center field. The 'Dogs took the lead in the eighth on an unearned run due to a Johnson throwing error.
R.J. Rodriguez worked a perfect ninth to book his 20th save in 21 chances, already three shy of matching P.J. Zocchi's franchise record.
The clubs are back at it Friday night at 7:05 p.m. for game three of the four-game series. Moises Melendez (2-1, 5.04) will face Jason Mitchell (3-3, 4.35). Radio coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on KFOR 1240.
Come out to Haymarket Park Friday night for hilarious between-inning entertainment from the Inflatamaniacs!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2013
- Wichita Pitchers Get the Best of Kansas City - Kansas City T-Bones
- Ronick Dominates Fargo - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Burns Nails as Saltdogs Come Back Late - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Hamburger Sizzles as Saints Take Game one Over AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Moore Throws Three-Hitter to Beat Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Hamburger Returns to Texas and Throws Complete Game Six-Hit Shutout as Saints Win 2-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Losing Skid Reaches Season-High Five Games - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 11th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 11-14 series against the St. Paul Saints at QuikTrip Park - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Announce Upcoming Promotions - Laredo Lemurs
- Sioux Falls Downs Explorers 6-3 - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.