Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends took down the Hagerstown Suns, 3-1 in the penultimate game of the series in front of 6,095 fans at Whitaker Bank Ballpark. Legends pitching allowed just one run on four hits while recording 13 punch outs.
The Suns were first to strike in the top of the second inning. Israel Pineda lined a single to right field. An RBI double by Nic Perkins drove him home and the Legends trailed, 1-0.
Lexington answered in the bottom of the inning courtesy of a leadoff blast by Nick Hutchins and the game was tied, 1-1.
The Legends took the lead in the bottom of the seventh inning. Eric Cole reached on a leadoff single then moved to second on a walk by Hutchins. Both advanced a base on a sacrifice bunt by Rubendy Jaquez. Brhet Bewley then smacked a two-run single and the Legends led, 3-1.
Charlie Neuweiler was lights out on the mound for Lexington. He tossed the first 7.0 innings allowing one run on three hits while striking out nine. Andres Nunez was given the save pitching the final 2.0 innings allowing one hit and striking out the side in the top of the ninth. Chandler Day was given the loss throwing 2.0 innings in relief allowing two runs on three hits.
The Legends and Suns face off for the series finale tomorrow at 2:05pm. Gates will open at 12:30pm for Family Playtime on the Outfield presented by LEX18.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Lexington Legends pitcher Charlie Neuweiler
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wagaman Thumps Two Out, Dogs Crank Four Homers to Slug Past Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Anderson's 3 RBIs Not Enough for 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Rodriguez Dazzles Again, 'Birds Roll K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Season-Best Win Streak Snapped on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Stoeckinger's Start Not Enough in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 10 vs. Greenville (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Pitching Stymies Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Clinch Back-To-Back South Atlantic League Championships with Late Inning Theatrics
- Hickory Hands Lexington First Playoff Loss
- Legends Headed Back to SAL Championship Series
- Lexington's Emma Tiedemann Named SAL Media Relations Director of the Year
- Lexington Powers Down West Virginia with Doubleheader Sweep