Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game
GREENSBORO - The Asheville Tourists were nearly no-hit on Saturday night in an 8-0 loss to the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The team managed only two base-runners the entire night and finished with a season-low one hit.
Greensboro hit a trio of Home Runs of Asheville's starting pitcher, Frederis Parra, and built a 6-0 lead before the Tourists put their first hitter on base. John Cresto worked a one-out walk in the sixth inning to break up Noe Toribio's bid for a perfect game.
Toribio finished the sixth inning without surrendering any hits and allowing only one ball to leave the infield. Winston Nicasio came in and retired the first four Tourists he faced. With one out in the eighth, Willie MacIver laced Asheville's only hit of the night; a sharp single into the left-centerfield gap. Willie was thrown out attempting to stretch it to a double.
Nicasio finished out the one-hitter by retiring the final four batters of the game. Asheville was held to only one run in yesterday's loss and that was an unearned run that scored on a dropped fly ball. The last earned run the Tourists scored was in the ninth inning of Thursday's win to open the series.
The Tourists have gone 16.1 straight innings without a run scored which matches their longest scoreless stretch of the season. Asheville went 16.1 consecutive frames without a run in a series at Delmarva at the end of April.
The current series at Greensboro wraps up on Sunday afternoon. Asheville needs a win to secure a winning record against at least one team from the Northern division this season. The season-series between the Tourists and the Grasshoppers is currently knotted up 3-3.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wagaman Thumps Two Out, Dogs Crank Four Homers to Slug Past Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Anderson's 3 RBIs Not Enough for 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Rodriguez Dazzles Again, 'Birds Roll K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Season-Best Win Streak Snapped on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Stoeckinger's Start Not Enough in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 10 vs. Greenville (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Pitching Stymies Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.