Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss
LAKEWOOD, N.J. - West Virginia's offense never got going Saturday night, as they fell, 7-1, to the Lakewood BlueClaws at FirstEnergy Park.
The Power (23-25, 60-58) threatened in the first inning, as Ryan Ramiz singled to lead off the game and Jhordany Mezquita (3-7) loaded the bases with back-to-back walks. However, Mezquita forced Dean Nevarez to fly out to deep-center field and leave the bases loaded. Evan Johnson (0-3) worked through a scoreless first, but ran into trouble in the second inning.
Lakewood (20-27, 49-67) took advantage of an error, two walks and a Johnson wild pitch early in the stanza to take a 2-0 lead. Later in the frame, Yerwin Trejo delivered with an RBI double before run-scoring singles from Malvin Matos and Luis Garcia pushed the BlueClaws to a commanding 5-0 lead.
Reid Morgan, who was able to close out the second for Johnson, tossed a scoreless third and fourth inning, but surrendered a two-run homer to Seth Lancaster in the fifth that made it 7-0 Lakewood. Kyle Hill took over in the seventh after the solid outing from Morgan and twirled two shutdown innings of his own.
The Power finally broke the shutout in the top of the ninth, as Mike Salvatore trotted in on a wild pitch to score West Virginia's first run. Despite the run, Dominic Pipkin (S,1) closed out the ninth and picked up his first save of the season.
The Power concludes their four-game series with the Lakewood BlueClaws Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Park, with first pitch set for 1:05 p.m. RHP Josias De Los Santos (3-6, 4.91 ERA) gets the ball for West Virginia, while Lakewood sends righty Victor Santos (5-8, 3.57 ERA) to the bump. Pregame coverage begins at 12:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The Power returns to Appalachian Power Park on Thursday, August 15, as they welcome the Hagerstown Suns to town for a four-game series. The highlight of the homestand comes on Saturday, August 17, as the first 1,000 fans can get a Jarred Kelenic prospect T-shirt giveaway, courtesy of Marshall Orthopaedics. West Virginia will also host a special postgame fireworks show following the final out Saturday, presented by Constellium. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wagaman Thumps Two Out, Dogs Crank Four Homers to Slug Past Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Anderson's 3 RBIs Not Enough for 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Rodriguez Dazzles Again, 'Birds Roll K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Season-Best Win Streak Snapped on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Stoeckinger's Start Not Enough in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 10 vs. Greenville (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Pitching Stymies Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.