Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva
SALISBURY, MD - Despite taking an early lead Friday night against the Delmarva Shorebirds (29-17, 77-38), the Kannapolis Intimidators (24-23, 52-63) bullpen surrendered five combined runs in the seventh and eighth frames to drop the game, 7-4, at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
In the top of the second inning, the Intimidators struck first. Gunnar Troutwine doubled and scored Cam Simmons to take the 1-0 lead. Ramon Beltre then singled and drove in Tyler Osik to extend the lead, 3-0.
The Shorebirds got one run back in the bottom of the third when Adam Hall singled and drove in a run. In their next frame in the bottom of the fourth, JC Encarnacion drove in another run on a force out to cut the Kannapolis lead to 3-2.
Davis Martin's day came to an end after that inning. He went four innings, gave up three hits, just one earned run, and struck out five while walking three. J.B. Olson came in for relief of Martin.
Romy Gonzalez continued to rack up the RBI's in the top of the fifth when he drove in Ian Dawkins and pushed the lead back up to 4-2.
Olson had a solid outing on the mound as well for Kannapolis. He went two innings, allowed just one hit, and struck out three as the Intimidators headed into the seventh with the lead still.
That's when things started falling apart for Kannapolis. Lane Ramsey came in for the seventh inning. Another double from Hall allowed Delmarva to cut their deficit to one run. A Zach Watson sac fly then drove in Hall to tie things at 4-4.
That was Ramsey's only inning, and Declan Cronin (L, 0-1) came in for the eighth inning. A single and a triple on back-to-back batters for the Shorebirds broke the tie and gave them a 7-4 lead over the Intimidators.
Kannapolis will continue their series with Delmarva on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. Jason Bilous (5-6, 3.02 ERA) will be on the bump for the Intimidators against Grayson Rodriguez (8-3, 2.87 ERA) of the Shorebirds.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wagaman Thumps Two Out, Dogs Crank Four Homers to Slug Past Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Anderson's 3 RBIs Not Enough for 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Rodriguez Dazzles Again, 'Birds Roll K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Season-Best Win Streak Snapped on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Stoeckinger's Start Not Enough in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 10 vs. Greenville (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Pitching Stymies Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Ballers Honor Heroes Through Field of Honor
- Cannon Ballers Share Disappointment on Postponed Inaugural Season
- Cannon Ballers Making Strides in Community
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Staff Spotlight Featuring Vince Marcucci, Assistant General Manager