Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Seth Lancaster went 3-4 with a home run as the BlueClaws topped West Virginia 7-1 on Irish Heritage Night at FirstEnergy Park on Saturday.
Lakewood (20-26/49-67) snapped a three-game losing streak with the win, their fourth in 13 games against the Power (23-25/60-58) on the season.
The BlueClaws broke open a scoreless game with a five-run second inning. The frame started with a walk and an error to put runners on second and third. A wild pitch scored the first run and Juan Aparicio added a SAC fly for the second run. Yerwin Trejo added an RBI double before RBI singles from Lalvin Matos and Luis Garcia.
Lancaster added a two-run home run in the fifth to put the BlueClaws up 7-0.
Meanwhile, BlueClaws pitching was sharp. Jhordany Mezquita threw five scoreless innings, adding two strikeouts, to earn the win.
Dominic Pipkin came on in the sixth and got the last 12 outs to earn his first professional save. The Power got their lone run on a wild pitch with two outs in the ninth inning.
Jonathan Guzman, Malvin Matos, and Cole Stobbe all had two hits to go along with Lancaster's three. Matos is now 27-61 since July 16th.
The teams finish their series on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 pm. RHP Francisco Morales starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Josias De Los Santos (3-6).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 10, 2019
- Jackets Split Doubleheader with Rome - Augusta GreenJackets
- Wagaman Thumps Two Out, Dogs Crank Four Homers to Slug Past Hickory - Charleston RiverDogs
- Anderson's 3 RBIs Not Enough for 'Dads - Hickory Crawdads
- Rodriguez Dazzles Again, 'Birds Roll K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Claws Roll to 7-1 Win on Irish Heritage Night - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Five-Run Second Sinks Power in 7-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Lexington's Lights out Pitching Leads to Victory - Lexington Legends
- Offense Disappears for the Second Straight Game - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Season-Best Win Streak Snapped on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Stoeckinger's Start Not Enough in Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 10) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 10 vs. Greenville (Game 114) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bullpen Falls Apart Late in 7-4 Loss to Delmarva - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Pitching Stymies Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.