Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence
CHARLOTTE, NC - Birmingham Legion FC lost 4-1 against the Charlotte Independence on Saturday night.
The first half ended all square at 1-1 after an early Charlotte goal in the 7' minute, and an equalizer for Legion FC 20 minutes later. #10 Prosper Kasim bagged the goal with a pinpoint effort from outside the box after picking up a layoff from #5 Mikey Lopez.
The second half started a lot like the first, with Charlotte poking in an early goal in the 48' minute. They added a penalty in the 60' and a fourth goal on a breakaway in the 68' to put the match away.
#30 Razak Cromwell subbed on for #33 Kyle Culbertson in the first half after the right back picked up a knock, and then both #27 Eddie Opoku and #3 Kyle Fisher both made their returns from injury to sub on the second half. Opoku was dangerous, constantly hounding the Charlotte backline, and Fisher slid into the middle of a back three to help organize.
When asked about Kasim's goal, Legion FC Head Coach Tom Soehn said "one of the main topics was to get shots off, and to Prosper's credit I feel like he tried doing that today and caused some havoc."
"I thought we came into the first half at least evenly matched, and then the disappointing part is the second half we opened up and we're leaking goals. We've got to find a way to stay compact and organized and see out games. I felt like we had a couple opportunities to get back in and then we made a couple individual errors that cost us. We've just got to find a way to stop leaking the goals."
1st Half 2nd Half
CLT 1 3
BHM 1 0
CLT - 7' - #15 Andrew Gutman
BHM - 26' - #10 Prosper Kasim (assisted by #5 Mikey Lopez)
CLT - 48' - #19 Enzo Martinez
CLT - 60' - #10 Jorge Herrera (P)
CLT - 65' - #29 Abdoulie Mansally (assisted by #23 Alex Martinez)
The next match is back home at BBVA Compass Field on Saturday, June 22 as BHM takes on Hartford Athletic. Tickets are available at bhmlegion.com/tickets or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635. Follow @bhmlegion on Twitter for more info and live game updates or watch live on My68 or ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 15, 2019
- 4 goal victory for Eric Wynalda's side - New Mexico United
- Media Release - El Paso Locomotive FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine with Dominating 2-0 Victory in Tulsa - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City - San Antonio FC
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Clinch 200th All-Time Victory, Defeat Atlanta - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Falls 3-1 Away to Bethlehem Steel FC - Saint Louis FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Fall to El Paso Locomotive 0-2 - FC Tulsa
- Independence Nails Birmingham - Charlotte Independence
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence - Birmingham Legion FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-1 to Indy Eleven - Loudoun United
- Jeff Caldwell's Five Saves Helps Memphis 901 FC Earn a Point in Ottawa - Memphis 901 FC
- Svantesson the Hero Late as Battery Draw against Rowdies - Charleston Battery
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Seeking to Continue Balanced Attack against Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Birmingham's BL Harbert International and Legion FC Jo in Forces for International Respect Challenge Tour
- Legion FC Preseason Schedule Information
- BBVA Field-Record Crowd Enjoys Legion FC v. Atlanta United
- Birmingham Legion FC Signs Forward Mensah, Goalkeeper Parker
- Legion FC Fan Experience at Bessie Estell Park - Saturday, February 8