Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (5-6-4, 19 pts.) defeated Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (4-9-2, 14 pts.) on Saturday night at H-E-B Park, 3-0. Carlos Small earns another brace as he reaches seven goals thus far.
An early chance was created during a free kick opportunity six minutes in. Camilo Monroy took a direct free kick and shot the ball to the left center side of the goal. Andre Rawls cleared the chance which resulted in a corner.
Romilio Hernandez took a strong shot from outside the box, at the 31st minute, aimed toward the top right of the goal, the ball then bounced off of the crossbar and ended the threat. This was the second clear chance at scoring for the Toros as they were taking advantage of the possession in the attacking third.
The only true chance of the half for the Switchbacks came at the 20th minute when Jordan Burt managed to head a ball dangerously toward the bottom right corner of the goal, but Nico Corti was positioned perfectly to end the danger on the play.
At the 55-minute mark, Wilmer Cabrera scored on a chance inside the box after a deflection off the back of a Switchbacks defender. Cabrera shot the ball past the extended goalkeeper at the bottom right corner of the net, 1-0. Shortly after around the 58th minute, he took another shot which went over the crossbar, but his confidence began to show in the attack.
Colorado remained rather silent on the pitch as the 70th minute mark rolled around. The Toros managed well in the defensive portion of the field and maintained a clean sheet so far.
The Switchbacks conceded a penalty at the 72nd minute when Small was yanked down in the center of the box while attempting a play on the ball. Shortly after, Small netted the goal with authority to the top right corner of the goal to make it 2-0 in favor of RGV FC, leaving no chance to the goalie who guessed wrong and laid out to the left side of his goal.
Another penalty was conceded by Colorado Springs, this time at the 82nd minute. Monroy took the chance but missed as the shot hit the crossbar and bounced clear, saving the Switchbacks from a third goal conceded.
In the closing segment of the match, 86th minute, Small found a cross inside the box and tapped it in to the center right side of the goal to make it 3-0 in favor of the Toros. The night continued to grow positively for the RGV FC attacking front.
Corti kept a clean sheet tonight for the Toros, second in the season thus far, adding three saves. Conor Donovan led RGV FC with eight clearances. Hernandez led with five tackles and totaled 61 passes, 91.8 percent passing accuracy.
Small led the Toros with five shots, three on target and two goals. Monroy totaled four shots and one on target. Brandon Morales, RGV FC academy product, made his debut tonight for the 2019 season.
Overall, RGV FC totaled 18 shots, seven on target and 85.2 percent passing accuracy. The Switchbacks totaled nine shots, three on target and 83.8 percent passing accuracy.
Next for RGV FC is a home matchup against Austin Bold FC in a Copa Tejas showdown on Sunday, June 23. Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2.
Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC - W. Cabrera 55', Small 74' (P), Small 85' (assist by Lemoine).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC - Hernandez YC (32'), Enriquez YC (84')
COS - Schweitzer YC (21'), Seth YC (50').
COS - Rawls, Jome, Reaves, Rwatubyaye, Yaro, Argueta, Burt (Hundley 87'), Schweitzer, Malcolm (Bone 62'), Robinson, Seth (Dewing 70').
Subs: Raben, Rodriguez.
Stats: Shots: 9 Shots on Goal: 3 Saves: 4 Fouls: 11 Corner Kicks: 5 Offsides: 1.
RGV FC - Corti, Donovan, Samuels, Coronado, Castellanos, Monroy, Martinez, Hernandez, Cabrera (Lemoine 71'), Small (Garza 90'), Enriquez (Morales 84').
Subs: Willis, Arcila, Jackson, Viveros.
Stats: Shots: 18 Shots on Goal: 7 Saves: 3 Fouls: 9 Corner Kicks: 6 Offsides: 0.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 15, 2019
- 4 goal victory for Eric Wynalda's side - New Mexico United
- Media Release - El Paso Locomotive FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine with Dominating 2-0 Victory in Tulsa - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City - San Antonio FC
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Clinch 200th All-Time Victory, Defeat Atlanta - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Falls 3-1 Away to Bethlehem Steel FC - Saint Louis FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Fall to El Paso Locomotive 0-2 - FC Tulsa
- Independence Nails Birmingham - Charlotte Independence
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence - Birmingham Legion FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-1 to Indy Eleven - Loudoun United FC
- Jeff Caldwell's Five Saves Helps Memphis 901 FC Earn a Point in Ottawa - Memphis 901 FC
- Svantesson the Hero Late as Battery Draw against Rowdies - Charleston Battery
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Seeking to Continue Balanced Attack against Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.