San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City
OKLAHOMA CITY - San Antonio FC (4-7-4) tied OKC Energy FC (5-4-7) 1-1 at Taft Stadium on Saturday night. A penalty save from goalkeeper Matthew Cardone and a late equalizer from midfielder Jack Barmby earned the Alamo City club its first point on the road of the season.
"I am really proud of the players and staff this week," said SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell. "They worked extremely hard to get the first point on the road. I thought the team played well tonight and I thought we deserved to get at least a point and maybe a little bit more against a well coached team in Oklahoma City."
Cardone came up big in the first half after denying forward Deshorn Brown in the 16th minute of the match following a foul inside the SAFC box. The penalty save marked Cardone's fifth overall for the club after the San Antonio native recorded four during the 2016 season.
The hosts opened the scoring in the 55th minute after earning a second penalty on the night. Midfielder Rafael Garcia stepped up and converted from the spot to give the Energy the 1-0 lead.
San Antonio FC then equalized in the dying moments of the match after Barmby buried a direct kick from distance past goalkeeper Cody Laurendi. The goal marks Barmby's fourth of the season in USL Championship play and earned the England native SWBC Man of the Match honors after he added four key passes and a 90 percent passing accuracy.
San Antonio FC will return to USL Championship action as they visit Fresno FC at Chukchansi Park next Friday, June 21 at 9:30 p.m. CT.
OKC: 1-0, Rafael Garcia (penalty) 55'
SAFC: 1-1, Jack Barmby 90'
OKC: Yellow Card (Mike da Fonte) 85'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Joshua Yaro, Eby Ackon; M: Michael Lahoud, Ethan Bryant (Bradford Jamieson IV 78'), Pecka (c) (Jose Gallegos 63'), Jack Barmby; F: Brian Gomez, Ever Guzman, Billy Forbes (Cristian Parano 71')
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Pascal Eboussi, Carson Price
San Antonio FC earned their first road point of the season, tying OKC Energy FC...SAFC is still unbeaten in OKC in team history, going 1-0-4 at Taft Stadium since 2016
With the draw, San Antonio FC and OKC Energy FC have now drawn seven of the nine matches between the two in the regular season... SAFC is 1-1-7 against the Energy all-time while the two sides also tied 1-1 over 120 minutes in the 2017 playoffs...SAFC has not lost to OKC since 5/21/16
San Antonio FC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone played 90 minutes and made two saves while claiming one cross and making two punches...Cardone faced two penalty kicks on the night and saved one, giving him a club-record five penalty saves all-time with SAFC...all four of Cardone's other penalty saves came during the 2016 season
SAFC midfielder Jack Barmby scored his fourth goal of the season, which ranks second best on the team...Barmby was named the SWBC Man of the Match after also recording four key passes, three shots and a 90 percent passing accuracy...Barmby leads the team with 37 chances created, which is also good enough for top 10 in the USL Championship
For the first time this season, no San Antonio FC player received either a yellow card or red card over the course of the 90 minutes at OKC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 15, 2019
- 4 goal victory for Eric Wynalda's side - New Mexico United
- Media Release - El Paso Locomotive FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine with Dominating 2-0 Victory in Tulsa - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City - San Antonio FC
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Clinch 200th All-Time Victory, Defeat Atlanta - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Falls 3-1 Away to Bethlehem Steel FC - Saint Louis FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Fall to El Paso Locomotive 0-2 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Independence Nails Birmingham - Charlotte Independence
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence - Birmingham Legion FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-1 to Indy Eleven - Loudoun United
- Jeff Caldwell's Five Saves Helps Memphis 901 FC Earn a Point in Ottawa - Memphis 901 FC
- Svantesson the Hero Late as Battery Draw against Rowdies - Charleston Battery
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Seeking to Continue Balanced Attack against Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Hosts Expansion Side New Mexico United this Saturday
- San Antonio FC Draws 2-2 against South Texas Rivals Rgv FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts RGV FC in Crucial Copa Tejas Matchup
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Cristian Parano Named USL Championship Player of the Week