Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain
OTTAWA - Unbeaten in almost two months, Ottawa Fury FC hosted USL Championship expansion club Memphis 901 FC on Saturday under the lights at TD Place. After a full 90 minutes, half of it under the rain, Fury FC was the more dominant team in all facets of the game but was just unable to capitalize and had to settle for a single point in a 0-0 draw.
Fury FC is now unbeaten in its last 8 matches, chasing a franchise record of 12 consecutive games without a loss established in 2015 (May-August).
Callum Irving collected a 4th clean sheet this season, thanks in part to a solid stop late in the second frame on a breakaway.
Fury FC dominated most of the stats lines on the night, including possession (67%), passing accuracy (83%), total shots (19), shots on target (5).
Facing an opponent that favours the direct play, Fury FC stuck to its preferred model of play and completed 608 passes on the night.
Midfielder Charlie Ward was once more the team leader in passes, orchestrating 118 passes with 92% passing accuracy.
Ottawa remains in 7th position in the Eastern Conference, with 2 of its next 3 matches against clubs ranked higher (Nashville, Tampa Bay).
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"What we did today, it's enough to win by three, four, five... 19 shots against 7, 608 passes in the game against 293, in the second half we had 75% of the ball against 25% and we finished the game 67% against 32%. In 90% of the matches, when you play like this, it's enough to win. However, the ball didn't go our way. We created enough chances to get out of here with three points but we didn't, and they came to defend, and they defended well. For us, we lost two points today."
Goalkeeper Callum Irving
"It can be tough to change the pace of the game when a team is sitting back like that. You move it up the field a little bit and kind of hit a wall. But our job when we're in the back is to bring the ball up to their half as quickly as possible, and possess and be dangerous. Ultimately, we do it to score goals."
"Today, obviously, the end product wasn't there, but I don't think it was for a lack of trying. We tried to push the pace at times, switch the play, change the pace of play, try different stuff to break them down. But Memphis were resilient and it just wasn't quite working (for us)."
Download match photos (credit: Steve Kingsman / Freestyle Photography)
Watch match highlights | Review match statistics
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Gagnon-Laparé, Barnathan, Attakora, Haworth ©; Fall, Ward, Mannella; Oliveira (84' Mutambala), Samb, François
Memphis 901 FC (4-4-2): Caldwell; Mohamed (83' Morton), Burch, Hauser-Ramsey, Charpie; Najem, Metzger (59' Uccello), Grandison, Hackworth; Collier, Graf (59' Kunga)
- none -
33' - MEM Charpie
64' - OTT Attakora
Next match: Saturday, June 22 @ Nashville SC
Next home match: Wednesday, June 26 v Charleston Battery
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 15, 2019
- Media Release - El Paso Locomotive FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine with Dominating 2-0 Victory in Tulsa - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City - San Antonio FC
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Clinch 200th All-Time Victory, Defeat Atlanta - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Falls 3-1 Away to Bethlehem Steel FC - Saint Louis FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Fall to El Paso Locomotive 0-2 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Independence Nails Birmingham - Charlotte Independence
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence - Birmingham Legion FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-1 to Indy Eleven - Loudoun United
- Jeff Caldwell's Five Saves Helps Memphis 901 FC Earn a Point in Ottawa - Memphis 901 FC
- Svantesson the Hero Late as Battery Draw against Rowdies - Charleston Battery
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Seeking to Continue Balanced Attack against Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Fury FC Stories
- Fury FC Adds Canadian GK to Roster
- Fury FC Wal Fall's Goal Earns Him Spot in 18-Player Selection of the Week
- Fury FC Earns Big Point in 1-1 Draw against Defending Champion
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Louisville City FC
- Fury FC Steal Wanderers' Spotlight in An Entertaining 3-2 Road Win