4 goal victory for Eric Wynalda's side
(LAS VEGAS, Nevada) New Mexico United fell to the Las Vegas Lights FC on Saturday evening. Las Vegas Lights FC controlled the pace of play, and their high press clearly bothered United, as the Eric Wynalda's side notched a 5:1 victory.
Javan Torre netted the first goal for the hosts in the 32nd minute. In the 40th minute, Christian Hernandez was able to score from a rebound, after Cody Mizell blocked his penalty kick attempt. The hosting Lights went into the locker room up two.
The second half proved even more fruitful for the hosts. Preston Tabort Etaka netted the Lights' third just minutes into the second half. New Mexico United's David Estrada would head in the visitor's only goal of the evening in the 88th, but Las Vegas would cut the celebration short quickly. Just two minutes later, Edwin Rivas would score number four for the hosts, and Junior Sandoval would add a fifth in the 4th minute of second half stoppage.
Up next for United is a Round of 16 bout with the MLS' FC Dallas. The match will take place on Wednesday, June 19th.
Starr Brothers Starr of the Match: David Estrada
Unfortunately, his 88th minute goal was too little, too late, but Estrada did provide a small silver lining for the outing, and his work in possession and defense was admirable, despite the outcome.
NM - Estrada (88')
LV - Torre (32'), Hernandez (40'), Tabort Etaka (47'), Rivas (90'), Sandoval (90+4')
NM - Tetteh (39')
OKC - Torre (33'), Garcia-Lopez (45'), Robinson (69'),
NM: Shots: 10, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 2, Fouls: 5, Corner Kicks: 5, Offside: 1.
OKC: Shots: 14, Shots on Goal: 7, Saves: 2, Fouls:14, Corner Kicks: 4, Offside: 2.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 15, 2019
- 4 goal victory for Eric Wynalda's side - New Mexico United
- Media Release - El Paso Locomotive FC Extend Unbeaten Streak to Nine with Dominating 2-0 Victory in Tulsa - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Point After Late Equalizer in Oklahoma City - San Antonio FC
- Small Leads the Toros to Victory over the Switchbacks - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Tacoma Defiance Earns a Road Point in 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Hounds Clinch 200th All-Time Victory, Defeat Atlanta - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- STLFC Falls 3-1 Away to Bethlehem Steel FC - Saint Louis FC
- Tulsa Roughnecks Fall to El Paso Locomotive 0-2 - FC Tulsa
- Independence Nails Birmingham - Charlotte Independence
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 5-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC and Memphis 901 Battle to a 0-0 Draw Under the Rain - Ottawa Fury FC
- Legion FC Loses at Charlotte Independence - Birmingham Legion FC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to RGV - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Loudoun United Fall 2-1 to Indy Eleven - Loudoun United FC
- Jeff Caldwell's Five Saves Helps Memphis 901 FC Earn a Point in Ottawa - Memphis 901 FC
- Svantesson the Hero Late as Battery Draw against Rowdies - Charleston Battery
- Early Goals Lead NCFC to 2-0 Win over Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Seeking to Continue Balanced Attack against Hartford Athletic - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- 880 Screaming Fans, 450 Miles from Home, 0 Positive COVID Tests: How New Mexico United Is Leading the Way on Community Safety
- New Mexico United, Electric Playhouse Team up to Announce "Meal and a Match" Interactive Watch Parties
- New Mexico United to Host First "Home" Match of the Season in Colorado Springs
- New Mexico United Staff Member Tests Positive for COVID-19
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast