Late Comeback Falls Short in Wichita
WICHITA, KS - The Winnipeg Goldeyes lost 5-3 to the Wichita Wingnuts at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium on Monday night.
With the Goldeyes leading 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth, the Wingnuts scored four runs to take the lead. Tony Thomas singled to left with one out and stole second base. After Chase Simpson walked, John Nester singled through the left side to score Thomas with the Wingnuts' first run. Logan Trowbridge followed with an RBI double to left. Leo Vargas hit a soft double down the right field line that scored Nester and Trowbridge with the lead runs.
Simpson hit a two-out, bloop single in the bottom of the fifth that scored Zach Nehrir to make it 5-2 Wichita.
The Goldeyes put runners on first and second with two outs in the top of the eighth, and pulled within 5-3 when Grant Heyman doubled to left-centre on an 0-2 count to score Josh Mazzola. With the tying runs in scoring position, Wingnuts' reliever Scott Kuzminsky struck out Andrew Sohn to end the threat.
Josh Romanski led off the top of the ninth with a double before Wingnuts' closer Daniel Tillman retired the next three hitters in a row to convert his league-leading 25th save.
The Goldeyes took a 2-0 lead in the top of the fourth. Josh McAdams led off with a double to left and went to third on a single to right by Tucker Nathans. Mazzola lifted a sacrifice fly to left that scored McAdams. After Jordan Ebert ripped a single through the left side, Blake Adams was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Gavin Stupienski hit a sacrifice fly to shallow left. Nathans scored just ahead of the throw to the plate by Thomas.
Casey Harman (10-4) started for Wichita and picked up the win, allowing two earned runs on six hits over six innings. Harman walked two and struck out eight.
Kevin McGovern (4-11) started for the Goldeyes and took the loss, allowing five earned runs on 10 hits in seven and one-third. McGovern walked four and struck out 12.
Romanski has hit safely in eight consecutive games. Jack Charleston recorded two outs in relief of McGovern in the bottom of the eighth and made his league-leading 51st appearance of the year.
The series continues Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home on Monday, August 27th when they host the St. Paul Saints. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 20, 2018
- Saints Slug Way into First, Crush Season High Five Home Runs in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Late Comeback Falls Short in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Take Opener from AirHogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Fall in Nail-Biter at the Depot - Texas AirHogs
- Four-Run Fourth Supports Harman, Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Resumption over RailCats 8-0, Game Two Postponed and Rescheduled for Tuesday - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Dogs 8-0 in Resumption of Suspended Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats Sign LHP Wright to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Oduber Earns American Association Player of the Week Award - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RedHawks' Solomon Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Split Doubleheader vs. Saltdogs - Texas AirHogs
- X's Sweep Series and Season from Goldeyes - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs and AirHogs Split Marathon Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park