Railroaders Take Opener from AirHogs
CLEBURNE, Texas - Patrick Mincey gave up just two earned runs over 6.1 innings to earn his second consecutive win, and the Cleburne Railroaders rallied for a 3-2 win over the Texas AirHogs to open the series at The Depot on Monday night.
Mincey gave up a pair of runs in the 5th inning before Cleburne scored twice to take the lead for good in the 6th. Hunter Clanin worked a one-out walk before Trevor Sealey extended his hit streak to five games with a single. Levi Scott then walked to load the bases before a wild pitch scored Clanin to tie the game and Angelo Gumbs clubbed a sacrifice fly to score Sealey.
Mincey won his second consecutive start after earning his first win of 2018 in Grand Prairie just five days prior, and gave up the two runs with four walks and four strikeouts over his 6.1 innings.
Sealey went 2-for-4 with a pair of runs scored and posted his 21st multi-hit night of the year, while Patrick Palmeiro extended his hitting streak to seven games with an RBI single that gave Cleburne a lead in the 1st inning.
Clanin - in his second consecutive game as the leadoff man - walked and scored, and Scott went 1-for-3 with a walk. Cleburne's 5-9 hitters combined to go 0-for-14 with six strikeouts.
Shawn Blackwell came on for the 9th inning and struck out the side for his 13th save of the year.
Will Mathis tossed 0.2 scoreless frames before Patrick Young went 1-2-3 in the 8th inning.
Texas starter Sean Stutzman went 5.1 innings and gave up three runs on four hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Reliever Tyler Matzek tossed 2.2 scoreless frames with no walks and four strikeouts.
Game 2 of the three-game series is set for 7:06 p.m. on Tuesday night. Cleburne will send RHP Jesus Sanchez to the mound as a starter for the first time in 2018, and Texas counters with RHP Miguel Rosario.
Good seats still remain for Tuesday night's game, and all ticket and promotional information can be found at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 20, 2018
- Saints Slug Way into First, Crush Season High Five Home Runs in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Late Comeback Falls Short in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Take Opener from AirHogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Fall in Nail-Biter at the Depot - Texas AirHogs
- Four-Run Fourth Supports Harman, Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Resumption over RailCats 8-0, Game Two Postponed and Rescheduled for Tuesday - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Dogs 8-0 in Resumption of Suspended Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats Sign LHP Wright to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Oduber Earns American Association Player of the Week Award - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RedHawks' Solomon Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Split Doubleheader vs. Saltdogs - Texas AirHogs
- X's Sweep Series and Season from Goldeyes - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs and AirHogs Split Marathon Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.