RailCats Shutout by Dogs 8-0 in Resumption of Suspended Game
ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats were shutout by the Chicago Dogs, 8-0, in the resumption of the suspended contest of the July 4th doubleheader on Monday evening at Impact Field. Monday's defeat moves Gary back behind St. Paul by 1/2 a game for first place in North Division and shrinks the RailCats lead over Fargo-Moorhead for the second and final playoff in the division by 1.5 games. The 'Cats and Dogs were then scheduled to play a second game on Monday, however, that contest was postponed due to rain and lightning in the area and will be made up on Wednesday as part of a doubleheader starting at 5:05 p.m. The two teams will play Tuesday's originally scheduled game at 7:05 p.m.
Chicago (38-47) took a 2-0 lead before game two of the July 4th doubleheader was suspended on Joe Benson's two-run home run off Gary starter Lars Liguori in the first inning.
Austin Wright signed with Gary on Monday and retired the first seven batters he faced in his American Association debut before allowing five runs in fifth after the first seven batters of the inning reached safely. Former RailCat Michael Falsetti made it 4-0 with a two-run single to left before the second throwing error of the inning from Garrett Copeland allowed the Dogs to go up by five. Trey Vavra delivered the final runs of the inning with a two-run single past a drawn in infield.
Stephen Perez put the Dogs up by eight with a solo home run in the sixth. The homer was Perez's third of the year and Chicago's 61st as a club.
Liguori (2-7) was charged with the loss after allowing two runs on two hits in 1.2 innings. Rich Mascheri (3-0) recorded the win with a season-high six shutout innings. The southpaw retired 13 of the first 14 batters he faced and yielded just three hits, two walks and struck out five.
Gary continues their final series of the year against Chicago with a doubleheader on Tuesday. RailCats LHP Lars Liguori (2-7, 3.98) is expected to face Dogs RHP John Goossen-Brown (6-6, 4.95).
Gary returns home on Thursday for a doubleheader against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks after the two teams were postponed in Fargo, N.D., back on July 19th. Game one will begin at 5 p.m. with game two following 30 minutes after the completion of game one. Thursday features a Throwback Jersey Auction, presented by Rieth-Riley, and is another Beer and Dog Thursday, presented by Miller Lite & GFS, and a Gerber Collision and Glass Thursday. Beer and Dog Thursday's include $2.50 hot dogs, $1.50 domestic drafts and $3.00 select premium drafts.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 20, 2018
- Saints Slug Way into First, Crush Season High Five Home Runs in 9-5 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Late Comeback Falls Short in Wichita - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Take Opener from AirHogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Fall in Nail-Biter at the Depot - Texas AirHogs
- Four-Run Fourth Supports Harman, Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Win Resumption over RailCats 8-0, Game Two Postponed and Rescheduled for Tuesday - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Shutout by Dogs 8-0 in Resumption of Suspended Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RailCats Sign LHP Wright to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Oduber Earns American Association Player of the Week Award - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RedHawks' Solomon Named AA Pitcher of the Week - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Split Doubleheader vs. Saltdogs - Texas AirHogs
- X's Sweep Series and Season from Goldeyes - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs and AirHogs Split Marathon Doubleheader - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Staff Additions and Promotions for 2020
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2020 Season
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0