LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo and Goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp Roster
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy defender Julian Araujo and goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann have been named by head coach Jason Kreis to a 31-player roster for the U.S. Under-23 Men's National Team camp ahead of the Concacaf Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship in Guadalajara, Mexico.
The U-23 USMNT will train together in Mexico before Kreis selects the final 20-player tournament roster later this month. The USA kicks off Olympic qualifying Thursday, March 18 vs. Costa Rica at 2 p.m. PT, faces Dominican Republic on Sunday, March 21 at 4 p.m. PT and wraps up the group stage vs. Mexico on Wednesday, March 24 at 6:30 p.m. PT. All three U.S. group stage games will be broadcast on FS1 and TUDN.
"We're excited to finally return to Guadalajara ahead of the Olympic qualifying tournament," Kreis said. "A lot has changed since March 2020, but we've seen our player pool grow and gain invaluable experience over the last year. We're looking forward to a few weeks of preparation ahead of the tournament and we're thankful for the cooperation of the clubs in releasing their players for this very important training camp. I'm confident that the group we've assembled can achieve our ultimate goal of qualifying for the Olympics in Tokyo."
U-23 USMNT Training Camp Roster by Position (Club; Hometown):
GOALKEEPERS (4): Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), Jonathan Klinsmann (LA Galaxy; Munich, Germany), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes, Alamo, Calif.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (10): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Calif.), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Marco Farfan (LAFC; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; New York, N.Y.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fiare FC; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.), Austin Trusty (Colorado Rapids; Media, Pa.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Frankie Amaya (FC Cincinnati; Santa Ana, Calif.), Cole Bassett (Colorado Rapids; Littleton, Colo.), Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; Denville, N.J.), Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC; Medellin, Colombia), Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.)
FORWARDS (9): JesÃºs Ferreira (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Brooks Lennon (Atlanta United FC; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; Plantation, Fla.), Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; Lynwood, Calif.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; Jacksonville, Fla.), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas/MEX; Park City, Utah), Sebastian Soto (Norwich City/ENG; San Diego, Calif.)
The training camp roster features 15 players who have been capped by the senior USMNT and 16 who have played at a youth World Cup.
A total of 14 players were a part of the USMNT's gameday roster against Trinidad and Tobago last month, a 7-0 victory. Defenders George Bello and Aaron Herrera as well as midfielders Andrés Perea and Tanner Tessmann earned their senior team debuts, while forwards JesÃºs Ferreira and Jonathan Lewis netted their first full international goals. Prior to the match, 18 players took part in the U-23 USMNT's January training camp. All but six players have been involved with the USMNT program since it returned to action in Nov. 2020.
The Olympic qualifying tournament was originally scheduled for March 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Players born on or after Jan. 1, 1997 are age-eligible for the competition, and Kreis selected 13 players born in 1997, five born in 1998, one born in 1999, four born in 2000, six born in 2001, one born in 2002 and one born in 2003 for the training camp.
The tournament features eight nations divided into two groups of four teams. The top two finishers in each group will advance to the pivotal semifinals that will send two winners to the Olympics in Tokyo as representatives of Concacaf. The two winners will also meet in the final on March 30.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2021 Major League Soccer season are now available. LA Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. In addition to visiting lagalaxy.com/since96, fans can secure 2021 Season Ticket Memberships by emailing email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2021
- Colorado Rapids Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- New York City FC Announce Preseason for 2021 Season - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Three Additional 2021 Preseason Opponents - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Phil Neville's Technical Staff - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo and Goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp Roster - LA Galaxy
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Confirm Details for the Start of the 2021 Training Camp - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Michel and Perea Called up to U-23 USMNT Training Camp - Orlando City SC
- LAFC and Real So Cal Soccer Club to Form LAFC So Cal Youth - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic Selected by the United States U-23 National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Rapids Lead MLS Clubs with Four Players Called to U-23 Training Camp Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers - Colorado Rapids
- Eryk Williamson Called up to U-23 U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp Ahead of CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Championship - Portland Timbers
- Frankie Amaya called up to U.S. Under-23 Men's National Team - FC Cincinnati
- RSL Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Homegrown Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp Ahead of CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship - FC Dallas
- Henry Kessler Named to U.S. Under-23 Men's National Team Roster for CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship Training Camp - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids 2021 Preseason Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule - Nashville SC
- Austin FC Announces Preseason Training Camp ahead of Inaugural 2021 MLS Season - Austin FC
- New York Red Bulls Add Youba Diarra on Loan from Red Bull Salzburg - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Kicks off 2021 Preseason - Sporting Kansas City
- CF Montreal Announces New Partnership with BET99.net - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Sign Winger Kevin Cabral
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer
- LA Galaxy Announce Time Change for June 19 Home Match against Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 (Preseason)