Kroenke Strong as Aces Knock off Beavers
Tony Abreu had two hits, including a solo home run, and Zach Kroenke struck out six over seven strong innings as the Reno Aces defeated the Portland Beavers 3-1 at Aces Ballpark Tuesday night.
Abreu took rehabbing San Diego Padres starter Chris Young deep in the first, then broke a 1-1 tie in the sixth by singling and scoring on a Brandon Allen single.
Kroenke (7-3) held the Beavers (56-82) to one run on six hits and two walks, winning for the fifth time in six starts.
Ed Rogers led off the seventh with a triple and came home on Carlos Corporan's single to add an insurance run for the Aces (66-71), who finished August with a 20-9 mark.
Josh Geer (10-11) took the loss despite matching a season high with seven strikeouts. He gave up two runs over five innings, yielding five hits and walking one.
Young yielded one run on two hits in three innings on his second rehab start and first with Portland. He fanned one and did not walk a batter.
Luis Durango and Sean Kazmar each had two hits for Portland.
Carlos Rosa converted his 12th straight save with a scoreless ninth.
The Beavers and Aces continue their four-game series in Reno Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Aces became the first PCL team this season to win 20 games in a calendar month ... Young has been on the Padres' 60-day disabled list since April 7 with right shoulder inflammation ... Young threw 24 of 31 pitches for strikes ... Portland finished August at 15-16, including 12-7 on the road.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 31, 2010
- 'Topes Split a Pair with I-Cubs 11-10, 6-8 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Kroenke Strong as Aces Knock off Beavers - Portland Beavers
- New Orleans Ends 'Birds Streak - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Win a Wild One in Memphis - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Lerew Tosses Shutout in Rain-Shortened Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Blanked at Omaha 7-0 - Round Rock Express
- Four Express Players Headed to Houston - Round Rock Express
- Dodgers All-Star Rafael Furcal to Rehab with 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Doubleheader Rained out Tuesday - Nashville Sounds
- Will Beavers' Departure Lead to "Golden" Era in Portland Baseball? - OSC Original by Bruce Baskin
- Bourjos Named PCL Rookie of the Year - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds' Dickson Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Memphis Redbirds
- Bourjos Named PCL Rookie of the Year - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Royals - Round Rock Express
- Royals, AT&T to Send Rosenblatt out in Style - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Baxter, Beavers Rally to Beat Aces in Reno - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Cruise Past Colorado Springs, 6-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Portland Takes Opener Over Reno, 7-6 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss