Knights Drop Saturday's Contest to Bulls 11-0
(DURHAM, NC) - The Charlotte Knights dropped game five of the six-game series against the Durham Bulls by a score of 11-0 on Saturday from Durham Bulls Athletic Park.
The Bulls jumped out to a quick lead in the first inning and never looked back. Charlotte RHP Jonathan Stiever (2-2, 5.19) started and allowed five runs on five hits over five innings. He struck-out seven batters and was charged with the game five loss.
Durham scored their first five runs over the first five innings against Stiever and later added five more runs in the seventh inning against Charlotte reliever Connor Sadzeck. Durham left fielder Nathan Lukes went 4-for-4 with two home runs and three RBIs to lead the Bulls.
Offensively, the Knights managed just three hits on the night. Shortstop Matt Reynolds had one of the three hits to extend his hit streak to seven consecutive games. Center fielder Mikie Mahtook and right fielder Blake Rutherford had one hit each.
RHP Luis Patiño (1-1, 4.35) allowed just one hit over five shutout innings to earn the win for the Bulls. Three relievers held the Knights scoreless over the final four innings.
Before the game, the Knights activated catcher Seby Zavala from the injured list. Zavala was Charlotte's designated hitter in Saturday's game. He reached base once on a walk in the ninth inning.
The two teams will conclude the six-game series from Durham Bulls Athletic Park on Sunday at 5:05 p.m. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and www.CharlotteKnights.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 12, 2021
- Chasers Streak Snapped by Saints - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Three-Run First Leads Indians to VictoryÃÂ - Indianapolis Indians
- What a Way to Make a Living, Saints Upend Storm Chasers 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Iowa Loses Series with 7-1 Loss - Iowa Cubs
- IronPigs split doubleheader with Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings, Pigs Split Double Dip Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Marrero's Walk Off-Single Clinches Extra-Inning Win for Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Sounds Fall to Indians at First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Three Bats Record Multi-Hit Games as Louisville Loses a Heartbreaker, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Liberatore Stars as Memphis Wins Again - Memphis Redbirds
- Lukes Leads Bulls to 11-0 Shutout Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Top Bats in 3-2 Comeback Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Top Buffalo in 10 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Loses Sixth Straight with 11-2 Defeat to Worcester on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Knights Drop Saturday's Contest to Bulls 11-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Dominate Mets Again for Fifth Straight Victory - Worcester Red Sox
- June 12 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (16-17) at Nashville Sounds (24-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 12, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 12, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Rallies Back and Outlasts Gwinnett - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.