Iowa Loses Series with 7-1 Loss
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (11-22) scored just one run, falling to the Columbus Clippers (14-20) by a score of 7-1, Saturday at Principal Park.
Taylor Gushue gave Iowa an early lead with an RBI single, scoring Abiatal Avelino to go up 1-0 in the first. The lead didn't last long, as Columbus would score five runs in the second inning, largely from a Connor Marabell three-run homer and an RBI double from Ernie Clement.
Gabriel Arias extended the Clippers' lead to 6-1 in the third with a solo shot off of Iowa starter Adrian Sampson. Sampson spun five innings, allowing six runs on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts.
Dakota Mekkes entered in the sixth inning and kept the deficit at five for Iowa, tossing two scoreless innings. The righty allowed just two hits while striking out one, lowering his ERA to 1.47 on the year with the I-Cubs.
Columbus added one more run in the eighth inning, bringing their lead to 7-1. That is where the game would stay as Justin Garza would strike out five over the final two innings to get the Clippers back in the win column.
- Adrian Sampson allowed two home runs tonight, bringing his total to 10 over six appearances with Iowa this season.
- Dakota Mekkes spun another two scoreless frames for the I-Cubs tonight, lowering his ERA to 1.47 (3 ER/18.1 IP). He has struck out 17 batters compared to just six walks.
- Justin Garza struck out five of the six batters he faced tonight, closing the game with two perfect frames.
- Iowa didn't register a hit after Jacob Olson's double in the fourth inning.
Iowa and Columbus square off tomorrow in the series finale of the six-game series at Principal Park. First pitch between the two teams is set for 1:08 pm. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from June 12, 2021
- Chasers Streak Snapped by Saints - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Three-Run First Leads Indians to VictoryÃÂ - Indianapolis Indians
- What a Way to Make a Living, Saints Upend Storm Chasers 9-5 - St. Paul Saints
- Iowa Loses Series with 7-1 Loss - Iowa Cubs
- IronPigs split doubleheader with Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings, Pigs Split Double Dip Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Marrero's Walk Off-Single Clinches Extra-Inning Win for Jacksonville - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Sounds Fall to Indians at First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Three Bats Record Multi-Hit Games as Louisville Loses a Heartbreaker, 3-2 - Louisville Bats
- Liberatore Stars as Memphis Wins Again - Memphis Redbirds
- Lukes Leads Bulls to 11-0 Shutout Win over Knights - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Top Bats in 3-2 Comeback Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Top Buffalo in 10 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Loses Sixth Straight with 11-2 Defeat to Worcester on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Knights Drop Saturday's Contest to Bulls 11-0 - Charlotte Knights
- WooSox Dominate Mets Again for Fifth Straight Victory - Worcester Red Sox
- June 12 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Columbus - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (16-17) at Nashville Sounds (24-9) - Indianapolis Indians
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: June 12, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - June 12, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Rallies Back and Outlasts Gwinnett - Memphis Redbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.