Knights Drop Friday's Opener to Bats 5-1
(LOUISVILLE, KY) - The Charlotte Knights dropped the opening game of their three-game series against the Louisville Bats by a score of 5-1 from Louisville Slugger Field in Louisville, KY on Friday night. The Knights scored their lone run of the game in the top of the fourth inning on an RBI single by catcher Alfredo González.
LHP Colton Turner (2-1, 5.14) was charged with the loss after he allowed three runs on five hits over 3.1 innings pitched. Turner, who started the game in place of RHP Jordan Stephens, walked two batters and struck-out two. Stephens was placed on the Injured List earlier in the day (retroactive to May 8).
The Knights pounded out a total of nine hits on the evening. Shortstop Alcides Escobar and first baseman Matt Skole led the way with two hits apiece. Designated hitter Daniel Palka extended his hit streak to five consecutive games with a single in the top of the fifth inning.
RHP Odrisamer Despaigne (3-2, 3.92) earned the win for the Bats after he tossed five solid innings (5.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO). RHP Anthony Bass recorded the final four outs to earn his eighth save of the season. Shortstop Blake Trahan led the way offensively with four hits and three RBIs. The two teams will continue their three-game series on Saturday night from Louisville, KY. Pre-game radio coverage of Saturday's 6:30 p.m. game is set for 6:15 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action. RHP Dylan Cease is scheduled to get the start for the Knights in game two.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 10, 2019
- Hens Come Back to Win Slug Fest - Toledo Mud Hens
- Stripers Crush Five Home Runs, Defeat Pawtucket 8-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- IronPigs rally cut short in the 9th - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Caught by Toledo - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Syracuse Homers Four Times in 7-4 Victory over Columbus - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Down Knights, 5-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Beat Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Back-To-Back Jacks Not Enough for PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Friday's Opener to Bats 5-1 - Charlotte Knights
- Sano to Rehab with Red Wings this Weekend - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- The Last Strike - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Charlotte Knights (17-15) at Louisville Bats (14-20) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- "Knights Care 4 CLT" Effort Launched to Assist Those Affected by COVID-19
- 2020 ACC Baseball Championship Cancelled
- McMillon to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on May 3
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways