Kelowna Rockets Host Don Cherry Game Saturday
RE/MAX of Western Canada is proud to partner with the Western Hockey League and Kelowna Rockets to present the second season of "RE/MAX Presents: WHL Suits Up with Don Cherry to Promote Organ Donation" - a series of events across WHL markets to promote the importance of organ donation and to generate further support of the Kidney Foundation of Canada.
The Kelowna Rockets will play host to their very own themed game, complete with a variety of special promotions for fans in attendance this Saturday on March 9th against the Kamloops Blazers. A total of 1,000 limited second edition Don Cherry bobbleheads will be distributed to fans in attendance; fans will receive a scratch ticket upon entering the game, doors open at 6:00 pm. There will be drink koozies given away and other promotions ongoing throughout the game.
During the 2017-18 WHL Regular Season, participating WHL Clubs came together with RE/MAX to raise over $265,500, representing the largest public awareness and fundraising campaign in the history of the Kidney Foundation of Canada.
"On behalf of all RE/MAX associates in Western Canada, we're super stoked to be partnering with Don Cherry again this year for this fantastic night of hockey fun and fundraising for the terrific cause, The Kidney Foundation of Canada," said Elaine Langhout of RE/MAX of Western Canada. "My family was affected by kidney disease so it's a cause close to my heart. We encourage fans to come out and support the night when it comes to their town!"
"Thanks to RE/MAX, the WHL and all its fans, the number of transplants last year increased by 13 per cent," said Don Cherry. "Let's keep this momentum going by signing your donor card and talking to your family. It only makes sense."
The Rockets will sport their own unique and specially-designed Don Cherry-themed uniform during the game. This year, players will sport uniforms emblazoned with fun nicknames as opposed to traditional surnames across their shoulders. Fans will have the opportunity to bid on the limited-edition jerseys during the game, with 100 per cent of the proceeds going to local chapters of the Kidney Foundation of Canada. In addition to game-worn uniforms, fans will have the chance to bid on one Don Cherry-autographed jersey.
The Kidney Foundation is a cause close to the Cherry family. Don's son, Tim, received a kidney transplant from his sister Cindy. With close to 4,500 Canadians awaiting organ donation today - 76 per cent whom require a kidney - the Cherry family, RE/MAX and the WHL have come together to create this awareness campaign in support of the Kidney Foundation; who will have a booth at each game to field questions and hand out donation information.
To receive more information on this promotion or to sign up to be a donor visit CanadaDonates.ca for more details.
Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Note: Don Cherry will not be in attendance at the game.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 4, 2019
- Blades Unveil Don Cherry Jerseys for Charity - Saskatoon Blades
- Cranbrook Colts Jersey Silent Auction Available Online Today - Kootenay Ice
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Kelowna Rockets Host Don Cherry Game Saturday - Kelowna Rockets
- Wolf Named Eli Wilson Goaltending Western Hockey League Goaltender of the Week for the Fifth Time this Season - Everett Silvertips
- Silvertips' Wolf Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Hurricanes' Elmer Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Americans Fall 6-3 to Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- T-Birds Double up Americans and Extend Wild Card Playoff Lead - Seattle Thunderbirds
- ICE Fall 6-2 to Hitmen - Kootenay Ice
- Rockets Rebound to Beat Portland - Kelowna Rockets
- Silvertips Clinch Third Consecutive and 7th U.S. Division Title - Everett Silvertips
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Kelowna Rockets Rockets Prepare for Upcoming WHL Draft
- Kelowna Rockets Extend Mallette
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak and Canada Round out Preliminary Action Perfectly
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Picks up Assist in Canada's Opening Victory at U18 World Championship
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Named to Hockey Canada's 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship Roster