Kaser Wins Ninth Broadcast Excellence Award from Michigan Association of Broadcasters
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Grand Rapids Griffins hockey on Newsradio WOOD 106.9 FM & 1300 AM/ESPN 96.1 FM was honored by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) during its 2017 Broadcast Excellence Awards, held Wednesday night in Lansing.
A montage of Bob Kaser's calls from the Griffins' "Journey to the Calder Cup" was awarded "Merit" in the Play-By-Play Sports category for Commercial Radio Market 2, which includes radio stations in Ann Arbor, Battle Creek, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing and Tri-Cities. The award is based on the criteria of presentation and production values.
For Kaser, the Griffins' vice president of community relations and broadcasting, this marks the ninth time in the last 17 years that his broadcasts have been recognized by the MAB. Griffins hockey on WOOD won "best" awards for 2016, 2015, 2012, 2006, 2003, 2002 and 2001, along with a "merit" award for 2004.
During home games at Van Andel Arena, Kaser is alternately joined by color commentators Larry Figurski, sports anchor for WOOD TV8, and Lou Rabaut, a Grand Rapids attorney and longtime youth hockey coach and advocate.
Kaser, who has become one of most revered and honored broadcasters in hockey during his 39 seasons behind the microphone, also called 14 NHL games for the Detroit Red Wings last season, handling play-by-play duties for 13 games on the Red Wings' radio network along with one telecast on Fox Sports Detroit.
"For those who weren't able to witness our incredible run to the 2017 Calder Cup championship in person, Bob's play-by-play made them feel as if they had a front-row seat at Van Andel Arena," said Griffins president Tim Gortsema. "We think that Bob is the best in the business, and the goosebumps you get when listening to his playoff highlights testify to that."
Now in his 18th season as the Griffins' play-by-play voice, the Kalamazoo native received the American Hockey League's 2009-10 James H. Ellery Memorial Award for excellence in radio broadcasting. During his tenure as director of communications and broadcasting for the International Hockey League's Kansas City Blades (1990-2000), Kaser was awarded the Bob Chase Award as IHL Broadcaster of the Year for both 1993-94 and 1997-98.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Kaser Wins Ninth Broadcast Excellence Award from Michigan Association of Broadcasters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Assign Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Canucks Sign Defenseman Ashton Sautner to a Two-Year Contract Extension - Utica Comets
- Country Music Star Hunter Hayes to Perform Post-Game Friday Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- "Salute Our Military Night" to Highlight Roadrunners Weekend against Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Riverview Ice House Advances to Finals to Win Free LED Lighting Upgrade - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Add Two to Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Ottawa Reassigns Hogberg Back to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Another 3-In-3 Begins Friday in Utica for Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bears Summon Gustafsson, Geiger from Stingrays - Hershey Bears
- Hurricanes Re-Assign Wallmark to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Phillips Reassigned to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Recall Kile and Karabacek from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Reign Release Cory Ward from PTO - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Recall Hutchinson from the Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Beaver Dam Family Center in Finals for Winning Free Ephesus LED Sports Lighting System - Milwaukee Admirals
- Whitecaps Night, Lashoff Bobblehead Giveaway and Winning Wednesday Among Promotions for Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wagner Signs PTO with Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- San Antonio Recalls Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Springfield Mummers on Parade Tour to Begin at Thunderbirds Game - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Hershey Bears Mourn the Loss of Ralph Keller - Hershey Bears
- Texas Stars Announce Changes to Team's Business Structure - Texas Stars
- Detroit Recalls Svechnikov and Reassigns Sadowy - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Add Yale University Product - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Comeback Falls Just Short in 3-1 Loss - Stockton Heat
- Bruins Score Two on the Power Play in 6-3 Victory over Laval - Laval Rocket
- Iowa Drops Game to Texas 4-2 - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.