Karki Turns Testy Affair Silvertips' Way
KENT, Wash. - Keegan Karki turned in 36 saves while Martin Fasko-Rudas' power play goal and assist helped boost the Everett Silvertips to a 4-2 victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds before 5,504 fans on Saturday in WHL action at accesso ShoWare Center.
In a physical and eventually hostile matchup that turned in 120 penalty minutes, mostly in the third period, the Tips moved to within one win of tying their franchise record for longest win streak. Dawson Butt scored his second goal of the season just 32 seconds into the first period, while Conrad Mitchell and Wyatte Wylie also tacked on the goal scoring.
UP NEXT: The Tips will rest for the next six days and return to play on Saturday, Nov. 16 against the Winnipeg ICE, 7:05 p.m. in downtown Everett to open a three-game homestand at Angel of the Winds Arena. Tickets remain on sale, including the Chick-fil-A Fan 4 Pack, offering 4 tickets and sandwiches for as low as $56.
TICKETS | CHICK-FIL-A FAN 4 PACK
Keegan Karki and Roddy Ross traded saves through the first period in a scoreless tie, and the Tips outshot Seattle 14-13. Just 32 seconds into the second period, Dawson Butt jumped on a loose puck between the circles and hammered a slap shot past Ross for a 1-0 edge.
Mitchell's second goal in two straight days put the Tips up 2-0 at 6:50 when he cruised to the left circle, receiving Michal Gut's feed and fired a rocket under the crossbar.
Martin Fasko-Rudas helped the Tips move ahead 3-0 with 10:28 left in regulation, a power play goal when he jammed a loose puck under Ross after Cole Fonstad fed Fasko-Rudas at the front of the net.
Tyrel Bauer's slap shot put Seattle on the board with 8:49 left in regulation, ending a shutout streak by the Silvertips against Seattle of 115:53, dating back to last season.
Seattle pulled Ross for a sixth attacker but Wylie's clear from the Silvertips zone found the empty net, 150 feet away, for a 4-1 edge with 2:42 to play.
Matthew Rempe's first career WHL goal was the final tally for Seattle with 1:37, before several altercations erupted in the last 90 seconds. The two teams combined for 11 penalties and four fighting majors: Wyatte Wylie dropped the gloves with Simon Kubicek after Matthew Wedman's charging penalty (5 minutes) for a hit on Gianni Fairbrother with 25 seconds left. Aidan Sutter then fought Andrej Kukuca with 22 seconds left in the game.
Ross took the loss on 34 saves.
1. Gage Goncalves (EVT)
2. Conrad Mitchell (EVT)
3. Dustin Wolf (EVT)
NOTES: Scratched from the lineup were Braden Holt (healthy), Justyn Gurney (one-game suspension), Tyson Phare (injury), and Olen Zellweger (World U17 Hockey Challenge) ... Fonstad's assist gave him eight points in five games since joining the Silvertips lineup ... the Tips have won four of the last six meetings in Kent.
2019-20 SCHEDULE, TICKET INFORMATION
The Tips full regular season schedule offers ticket plans for as little as $215 total per seat, available at www.everettsilvertips.com/season or by calling (425) 252-5100 during normal business hours. Seven game packs are now on sale.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2019
- Blades Complete 4-Goal Comeback to Best Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Rally in Third to Down Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Karki Turns Testy Affair Silvertips' Way - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Fall 2-1 in a Nine-Round Shootout against Portland - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Closer, Still Fall to Royals, 2-1 - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs' Offense Unloads in 6-1 Win over Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs down Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Finish BC Swing by Falling 7-3 to the Blazers - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Fall to Tips on Military Appreciation Night - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Boyko Shines in 47 Save Victory over Lethbridge - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Stifle Cougars - Victoria Royals
- ICE Hang on for the 5-4 Victory over the Pats - Winnipeg Ice
- What a Night, What a Win - Portland Winterhawks
- The Force Was with the Oil Kings in a 4-2 Win over the Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels End Road Trip with 3-2 Win in Prince Albert - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Acquire Horon from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Upended At Home By Rebels - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Dustin Wolf Named to Team USA World Junior Preliminary Camp
- Gage Goncalves Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp
- Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft
- Silvertips Loan Five Players to Start 2020-21 Season
- WHL Announces January 8, 2021 as Regular Season Start Date