Chiefs' Offense Unloads in 6-1 Win over Kelowna
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs poured on a season-high 55 shots on goal on Saturday night as they cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Kelowna Rockets. Six different Chiefs skaters scored in a balanced offensive performance.
Kelowna actually opened the scoring, jumping out to a 1-0 lead at 5:19 before the Chiefs responded with a highlight-reel goal from Luke Toporowski at 9:44.
The second period is when the Chiefs made their hay, scoring three goals to earn a 4-1 lead and secure control of the game. Spokane has outscored opponents 27-10 during the second period this season.
Czech defenseman Filip Kral scored his eighth of the year - the most by any WHL defenseman - just 40 seconds in. Jack Finley and Bobby Russell chimed in with their third goal each in the final five minutes.
Team-leading scorer and Minnesota Wild prospect Adam Beckman matched Kral with his eighth goal of the season early in the third before Post Falls, Idaho native Bear Hughes chipped in his seventh to cap the scoring.
Spokane goaltender Lukas Parik, making just his second start since returning from injury, turned aside 22 of 23 shots faced to earn his third win of the year. Kelowna's Cole Schwebius made 49 saves in the loss.
The Chiefs finished 1-for-7 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill. The win moves their overall record to 8-7-2-0.
Spokane hosts Kelowna on Saturday night for Itron Team Poster Giveaway & Full-Team Post-Game Autographs! The first 5,000 fans through the gates will receive a team poster courtesy of Itron. Stick around after the game for autographs from all the players, open to all fans in attendance.
Tickets for Saturday night and all Chiefs home games are available online, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK and in-person at the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2019
- Blades Complete 4-Goal Comeback to Best Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Rally in Third to Down Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Karki Turns Testy Affair Silvertips' Way - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Fall 2-1 in a Nine-Round Shootout against Portland - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Closer, Still Fall to Royals, 2-1 - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs' Offense Unloads in 6-1 Win over Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs down Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Finish BC Swing by Falling 7-3 to the Blazers - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Fall to Tips on Military Appreciation Night - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Boyko Shines in 47 Save Victory over Lethbridge - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Stifle Cougars - Victoria Royals
- ICE Hang on for the 5-4 Victory over the Pats - Winnipeg Ice
- What a Night, What a Win - Portland Winterhawks
- The Force Was with the Oil Kings in a 4-2 Win over the Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels End Road Trip with 3-2 Win in Prince Albert - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Acquire Horon from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Upended At Home By Rebels - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Chiefs Trade Forward Owen MacNeil to Medicine Hat for Draft Picks
- Chiefs to Retire Tyler Johnson's Jersey on February 4
- Chiefs Shut out in Opening Pre-Season Game at Everett, 2-0
- Chiefs Sign Prospects F Michael Cicek and D Brayden Crampton