Giants Fall 2-1 in a Nine-Round Shootout against Portland
Vancouver Giants defenceman Bowen Byram (left) vs. the Portland Winterhawks
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Keith Dwiggins)
Portland, OR - Saturday night in Portland, the Vancouver Giants (10-8-1-1) earned a single point in a nine-round 2-1 shootout loss to the Portland Winterhawks. Justin Sourdif had the Giants goal in regulation while Jack O'Brien responded for Portland. Goaltenders Trent Miner (Vancouver) and Joel Hofer (Portland) were both outstanding for their respective teams, combining for 57 saves. Portland forward Mason Mannek secured the shootout winner in Round 9 to help the Winterhawks to their 11th victory. The Giants have now earned at least a point in each of their past five games.
VAN - 4:34 into the game, Justin Sourdif put the Giants ahead 1-0 with his ninth of the season. Dylan Plouffe supplied the lone assist on the play.
Shots: 13-6 Vancouver
POR - At 10:24, rookie Jack O'Brien (2) responded for Portland when he re-directed home a point shot from Nick Cicek past Trent Miner.
Shots: 6-5 Vancouver
Shots: 5-3 Vancouver
POR - Jarvis (Miss)
VAN - Svejkovsky (Miss)
POR - Dureau (Goal)
VAN - Byram (Goal)
POR - Newkirk (Miss)
VAN - C. Shepard (Miss)
POR - Stefan (Miss)
VAN - Sourdif (Miss)
POR - Hanas (Goal)
VAN - Nielsen (Goal)
POR - Gricius (Miss)
VAN - Roman (Miss)
POR - O'Brien (Miss)
VAN - Plouffe (Miss)
POR - Knak (Miss)
VAN - Ostapchuk (Miss)
POR - Mannek (Goal)
VAN - Patrician (Miss)
Final Score: Portland 2 - Vancouver 1 (Shootout)
Final Shots: Vancouver 31 - Portland 28
Trent Miner: 27/28 saves for Vancouver (5-4-1-1)
Joel Hofer: 30/31 saves for Portland (11-3-0-1)
Vancouver Giants: 0/4 on the Power Play
Portland Winterhawks: 0/4 on the Power Play
Joel Hofer (POR - 30 Saves)
Trent Miner (VAN - 27 Saves)
Jack O'Brien (POR - 1G)
Next Giants Game: Saturday, November 16th against the Prince George Cougars at the LEC.
The Giants are now 3-0-1-1 in their last five games.
The Giants road record now sits at 6-5-0-1
Vancouver's shootout record now sits at 1-1.
Seven of Justin Sourdif's nine goals this season have come on the road.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 10, 2019
- Blades Complete 4-Goal Comeback to Best Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Rally in Third to Down Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Karki Turns Testy Affair Silvertips' Way - Everett Silvertips
- Giants Fall 2-1 in a Nine-Round Shootout against Portland - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Closer, Still Fall to Royals, 2-1 - Prince George Cougars
- Chiefs' Offense Unloads in 6-1 Win over Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs down Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Finish BC Swing by Falling 7-3 to the Blazers - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Fall to Tips on Military Appreciation Night - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Boyko Shines in 47 Save Victory over Lethbridge - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Stifle Cougars - Victoria Royals
- ICE Hang on for the 5-4 Victory over the Pats - Winnipeg Ice
- What a Night, What a Win - Portland Winterhawks
- The Force Was with the Oil Kings in a 4-2 Win over the Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels End Road Trip with 3-2 Win in Prince Albert - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Acquire Horon from Thunderbirds - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Upended At Home By Rebels - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Wrap up Weekend with a Home Loss to Blazers
- Giants Power Play Strikes Four Times in a 6-2 Triumph on the Island
- Florchuk's Hat-Trick Lifts Giants over the Royals 4-1
- Giants Fall 6-3 to Chiefs Saturday Night at Home
- Giants Fall 3-1 to the Spokane Chiefs Friday Down South