Kalamazoo Sweeps Doubleheader over Rockford
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Growlers snapped a three-game losing streak with two victories over the Rockford Rivets in today's doubleheader.
An offensive outburst in the sixth inning of game one brought the Growlers the victory, and a seventh inning rally capped by a walk-off single to center field from Jonathan Foster scoring Sam Hall won game two for Kalamazoo.
Entering the sixth trailing 5-4 against the Rivets, the inning began for the Growlers with a Jason Sullivan single and Matt Mervis double. Two batters later Foster ripped his sixth home run of the season on a three run shot to left field. The Growlers would not look back scoring four more runs and beating the Rivets 11-5.
Jack Nelson started for the Growlers on the mound going 5 innings allowing four runs on two, two-run home runs. Andrew Belcik got the win in relief, pitching one inning and allowing one run.
Game two started quickly for the Growlers with a run in the first three innings. Jason Sullivan scored in the first inning on a sacrifice fly ball from Jordan Bowersox. Sullivan was involved in the second inning as well with an RBI single to plate Jared Miller. Bowersox scored the third run of the game coming around from first on a single to left-center field that was bobbled by Brennan Reback.
The Rivets scored one run off of Growlers starter Connor Adams in the fourth before tying the game in the 6th off of Andrew O'Dwyer.
This set the table in the seventh inning for the Growlers. Sam Hall led off the inning with a single to left center before being moved up on a Sullivan sac-bunt. After a Mervis ground out moved Hall to third, Bowersox drew a walk bringing up Foster. With two strikes he lined a single to center field to score Hall and give the Growlers the victory. It was the fourth walk-off of the season for the Growlers.
Mason Shinabery got the win for the Growlers as he was on the mound for the end of the sixth and seventh. He gave up four hits and no runs in relief.
The Growlers will complete their homestand tomorrow with another meeting against the Rivets at 3:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 14, 2018
- Stingers Fall to Rox in a Close Affair - Willmar Stingers
- Frogs Fall to Chinooks on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose on Kenosha Walk-Off - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Walkoff Hit by Pitch Lifts Huskies over Larks - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Win Wild Offensive Battle over Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Woodchucks Win Slugfest 21-12 - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Sweeps Doubleheader over Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bucks Drubbed by Express, 12-5 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Belt Back-To-Back Homers, Bury Stingers 6-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rivets Swept by Kalamazoo in Doubleheader - Rockford Rivets
- Bombers Top Dock Spiders 5-3 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- MoonDogs Rally Late, Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Start Final Series with Kenosha Tonight - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Back in Action - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Bounce Back in Rockford and Split Series to Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Win Thriller on Acosta's Walk-Off Homer - Green Bay Booyah
- Battle Creek Shutout by Kenosha, Split Series with Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Swept by Bullfrogs and Walk-Off Blast - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Executes Two Pickoffs, Falls to Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
- Rivets Lose After Rain Delay - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.