Woodchucks Win Wild Offensive Battle over Mallards
Wausau, WIS - The Woodchucks came into tonight's game in Madison opening up a two game series with the Madison Mallards. The Chucks offense was hot from the start and though the Mallards battled, the Chucks held on for the impressive 21-12 win. The Chucks fell one run short of tying the most runs scored by a Woodchucks team which was 22 in 2016.
The Woodchucks offense struck from the first batter of the game as shortstop Nick Loftin led off the game with a solo shot to left to give the Chucks a 1-0 lead after one.
The Chucks answered with another run in the top of the 3rdinning with right fielder Jaren Shelby delivering an RBI double to give the Chucks a 2-0 lead after three.
The Woodchucks offense had some inning in the top of the 5thscoring five runs capped with an RBI single from Javier Valdes and a three run shot from Alex Toral to make it 7-0 after five.
After the Mallards answered with a run in the bottom of the 5th, the Chucks offense could not be stopped in the top of the 6thwith two run RBI double from Jaren Shelby, an RBI walk from Cooper Swanson and scored four runs to make it 11-1 heading to the bottom of the 6th.
The Mallards had a huge six run bottom of the 6thinning to make it 11-7 going to the top of the 7thbut the Woodchucks offense continued with a huge 7thinning scoring six capped off with a Grand Slam from Alex Toral. That was Toral's second home run of the game and 7thRBI.
Both teams tacked on a few more runs in the late innings but the Woodchucks prevailed in the offense battle 21-12.
Chucks shortstop Nick Loftin had an incredible night at the plate going 5-6 with a solo shot and also scoring five times.
Chucks right fielder Jaren Shelby added a big offensive night as well with three RBI's and a few doubles.
Chucks first basemen Alex Toral had a night to remember having three hits with two of them being home runs. Toral had a three run shot and a Grand Slam to give himself 7 RBI;s on the night.
The Wisconsin Woodchucks will be back home at Athletic Park on Tuesday July 17thas they host the Battle Creek Bombers. First pitch is at 6:35. It is 25thAnniversary Woody Woodchuck Bobblehead Giveaway presented by RAM Truck and Brickner Family Auto Group.tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 14, 2018
- Stingers Fall to Rox in a Close Affair - Willmar Stingers
- Frogs Fall to Chinooks on the Road - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Lose on Kenosha Walk-Off - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Walkoff Hit by Pitch Lifts Huskies over Larks - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Win Wild Offensive Battle over Mallards - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Woodchucks Win Slugfest 21-12 - Madison Mallards
- Kalamazoo Sweeps Doubleheader over Rockford - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Bucks Drubbed by Express, 12-5 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Belt Back-To-Back Homers, Bury Stingers 6-4 - St. Cloud Rox
- Rivets Swept by Kalamazoo in Doubleheader - Rockford Rivets
- Bombers Top Dock Spiders 5-3 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- MoonDogs Rally Late, Defeat Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Start Final Series with Kenosha Tonight - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Back in Action - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Bounce Back in Rockford and Split Series to Rivets - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bullfrogs Win Thriller on Acosta's Walk-Off Homer - Green Bay Booyah
- Battle Creek Shutout by Kenosha, Split Series with Kingfish - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rafters Swept by Bullfrogs and Walk-Off Blast - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- St. Cloud Executes Two Pickoffs, Falls to Duluth - St. Cloud Rox
- Rivets Lose After Rain Delay - Rockford Rivets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Woodchucks Stories
- Wisconsin Woodchucks Announce Next Phase of Major Renovations to Athletic Park
- Woodchucks Win Final Game of the Season in Green Bay
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha
- Woodchucks Fall in First of Two-Game Series against Kenosha