K-Wings Fall to Fuel, Finish Week 2-1
March 26, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Kalamazoo Wings News Release
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The Kalamazoo Wings (25-34-4-0), proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Columbus Blue Jackets, stood tall against the Indy Fuel (38-22-4-0), not allowing a goal over the first two periods, but ultimately fell on Sunday at Indiana Farmers Coliseum, 2-1.
For the second consecutive game, the K-Wings and Fuel skated to a scoreless first period. Then, with Kalamazoo on a power play, David Keefer (2) scored to take the 1-0 lead. On the play, Kurt Gosselin (5) prevented the puck from exiting the zone at the blue line and sent a point-to-point pass to Keefer, who skated down into the right circle and rifled the puck home. Collin Saccoman (12) earned the secondary assist.
Pavel Cajan (6-6-0-0) made things difficult for Indy throughout the contest, stopping 35 of 37 shots including all 24 attempts by the Fuel through the first two periods. Cajan also made multiple highlight reel saves to keep Kalamazoo in the contest.
But, in the third, Indy netted the game-tying goal at the 6:43 mark, while skating with an extra attacker on for a delayed penalty call. The Fuel then scored the game-winner at the 9:30 mark on a five-on-three power play opportunity.
The K-Wings head back home Friday to face the Fort Wayne Komets (32-24-4-3). Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. EDT at Wings Event Center. Friday is also $3 Friday at WEC ($3 beers, hot dogs and sodas), and you can find your tickets HERE.
It's morphin time on Saturday, Apr. 1 at Wings Event Center versus the Iowa Heartlanders. Get your tickets HERE, and join us as we pay tribute to the iconic 90s show that found its way to the big screens & playgrounds around the country for decades. Come to the game and get your photo taken with a Power Ranger, and stick around postgame for the Power Rangers jersey auction. The 'Power Rangers Meet & Greet Ticket Package' is also available for the game, and includes four white-level tickets, a private meet & greet with a Power Ranger and a photo with a Power Rangers character.
The Kalamazoo Wings are a professional hockey team located in southwest Michigan that has been a staple in the Kalamazoo, MI professional sports landscape since 1974. The K-Wings compete in the ECHL and are the AA affiliate of the National Hockey League's Columbus Blue Jackets and the American Hockey League's Cleveland Monsters. Kalamazoo plays their 36 regular season home games at Wings Event Center from October through April.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 26, 2023
- Newton Records Eighth Multi-Goal Game In Road-Trip Finale Victory Over Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Defeat Grizz 6-3 to Complete Series Sweep - Utah Grizzlies
- Salt Lake Sweep: Cyclones Win 6-3, Earn Points in 21 Straight - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rabbits Erase 3-0 Deficit, Move into First Place with 5-4 Shootout Win over Toledo - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Secure a Point in Shootout Loss to Greenville - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Fall to Fuel, Finish Week 2-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Come from Behind to Defeat K-Wings - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Erase Three-Goal Deficit, But Still Fall Short, 5-3 - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Fall to Maine on Sunday Afternoon - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gabriele's Late Goal Lifts Mariners over Stingrays - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - March 26 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Walleye (5:15pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.