Jared Hoying, Joey Gallo Promoted to Texas Rangers
ROUND ROCK, Texas - OF Jared Hoying and INF Joey Gallo have both been promoted to the Texas Rangers during a busy day of roster moves within the organization. At the major league level, OF Shin-Soo Choo and OF Drew Stubbs were both placed on the disabled list, allowing Hoying to earn his first career call-up to Arlington. To make room for Hoying on the Rangers 40-man roster, Express INF Patrick Kivlehan was designated for assignment.
Additionally, RHP Jose Leclerc was promoted from Frisco to Round Rock and C Jhonniel Alvarez was added to the Express roster from extended spring training.
Hoying is currently in his seventh season within the Rangers organization, including his fourth in Round Rock. The Sindey, Ohio native was drafted by Texas in the 10th round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Toledo.
The speedy outfielder led the Express with 51 hits, 10 doubles, 32 RBI, 88 total bases, 12 walks and 13 stolen bases at the time of his promotion. He posted a .319 batting average after appearing in 41 of Round Rock's 42 games this season. Hoying has also compiled a .409 on-base percentage and a .550 slugging percentage. Defensively, he sported a .977 fielding percentage after committing just two errors in 340.0 total innings. He has made starts at all three outfield positions, including 20 in center field.
Last season, Hoying became just the second player in Pacific Coast League history to record back-to-back 20 home run-20 stolen base seasons after leading the Express with 23 bombs and 20 stolen bags. In 2014, he led the PCL with 66 extra-base hits and 263 total bases.
He began his professional career with the short-season Spokane Indians in 2010 before being promoted to Myrtle Beach in 2011. After parts of two seasons with the Frisco RoughRiders, Hoying made the leap to Triple-A in 2013 and has been a member of the Express ever since.
Gallo will be making his second stint with the Rangers after appearing in 36 games in Arlington last summer. In 24 starts with the Express, predominantly at third base, Gallo compiled a .265 batting average while blasting a team-high eight home runs. He also drove in 20 runs thanks in part to five doubles and a triple.
Kivlehan was in his first season within the Rangers organization after being the player to be named later in the trade that sent Leonys Martin to the Seattle Mariners last November. The utility infielder was hitting .184 with one home run and 16 RBI in 36 games in an Express uniform.
With these moves, the Express have 24 active with two on the disabled list.
Single game tickets are available along with season ticket packages and group discounts. For more information on the Express, visit www.RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 23, 2016
- Isotopes End Losing Streak with 4-2 Victory in Extras - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Redbirds Routed in Salt Lake City, 14-3 - Memphis Redbirds
- Ike Davis' Blast Fuels 4-3 Round Rock Victory - Round Rock Express
- I-Cubs Cut Down by Chihuahuas - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers Winning Streak Snapped In Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces' Late Rally Seals 6-2 Win in Big Easy - Reno Aces
- Reno Snaps Zephyrs' Win Streak with Four-Run Ninth - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Jared Hoying, Joey Gallo Promoted to Texas Rangers - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (23-20) at Las Vegas 51s (24-18) - Nashville Sounds
- Fife Comes off DL - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 23, 2016 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sergio Romo Starts Rehab with Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Reno Aces Game Information: Reno Aces (19-23) at New Orleans Zephyrs (19-23) - Reno Aces
- Bradley Takes Home PCL Weekly Honors - Reno Aces
- Rivera, Bradley Earn Weekly Honors - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Dell Diamond Named 2018 Baseball Field of the Year
- Home Run Dugout to Debut at Dell Diamond in 2019
- Austin Elite Rugby Selects Dell Diamond for 2019 Major League Rugby Season
- Nolan Ryan & RS3 Turf Launch Custom Line of Sports Field Materials
- Round Rock Express Become Houston Astros Triple-A Affiliate