Jacks Come Back for 6-5, Shootout Win
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - Kenny Corupe tied the game with 1:20 left in regulation, and Mike Ramsay added the shootout-winner as the Odessa Jackalopes topped the Arizona Sundogs by a 6-5 score on Saturday night at Tim's Toyota Center. Michel Robinson stopped the Sundogs' Joey Sides in round five of the shootout to end the game.
Ramsay was the only goal-scorer in the shootout portion.
The win capped off a four-goal comeback for the Jackalopes, who trailed 5-2 in the contest after Jamie VanderVeeken buried a power play goal 4:40 into the second period for Arizona. The Jackalopes now sit tied with the Tulsa Oilers for second place in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference, just one point back of Bossier-Shreveport for the second spot.
The Jackalopes opened the scoring in a first period that saw six combined goals between the two clubs. Jeff Pierce made it 1-0, Odessa just over two minutes into the game on a loose puck in front of the net. Sides answered for Arizona with a shorthanded marker 34 seconds later for his first of two goals on the night. Todd Robinson made it a 2-1 lead with a power play goal at 4:42, before the Sundogs countered with three straight power play goals of their own in the frame from Luke Erickson, Jason Visser, and Sides again.
After VanderVeeken's tally early in the second period, starting goaltender David McKee was lifted from the game for Michel Robinson and the Jackalopes began their comeback run with an unassisted goal by Mike Ramsay midway through. Darryl Bootland then made it a 5-4 game with a sharp-angled shot from the left side of the net that snuck in with 3:19 to play.
Corupe's third period tally was setup by Sebastien Thinel, added to his league-leading point total with two assists on the night for
The Jackalopes set a new season-high with 55 shots on goal in the contest.
The Jackalopes wrap up their seven-game road trip going 3-1-3 on the trek and now return home for a weekend set against the Rapid City Rush. Game one is Friday at 7:05 PM CST at the Ector County Coliseum. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 23, 2011
- Eagles Fall, 3-5, as Bloomington Thunders into First - Colorado Eagles
- First Place PrairieThunder Defeat Colorado 5-3 on Sunday Evening - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Donaghy Helps Thunder to Fifth Straight Win - Wichita Thunder
- Shorthanded Bucks Rolled by Thunder 6-3 - Laredo Bucks
- IceMen Trade Cheesman for Obermeyer - Evansville IceMen
- Bucks Face Quick Turnaround Today - Laredo Bucks
- Jacks Come Back for 6-5, Shootout Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Fall in Shootout, 6-5, Earn Five of Six Points against Jackalopes - Arizona Sundogs
- Lundin Turns Aside 46 Shots as IceMen Earn 4-2 Win over Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Brahmas Four Game Win Streak Snapped in Shoot Out - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Nightmarish Second Period Dooms Bugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- RiverKings Reach 20 Wins in Solid Win Over Dayton - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans Continue Winning Ways With 3-2 Win In The Valley - Allen Americans
- Allen Escapes With 3-2 Victory Over Killer Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Shutout by Thunder, 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.