Jackals Fall At Home In Thriller
Although a crowd of 3,686 provided for a great atmosphere at First Arena on Tuesday night, the Elmira Jackals were unable to hold onto third period leads of 2-0 and 3-2 as they fell in a shootout to the South Carolina Stingrays 4-3.
South Carolina defenseman Zach Tarkir scored with 11.5 seconds left to send the game to overtime with goaltender Todd Ford pulled and Jackals defenseman Brennan Turner in the box.
Olivier Proulx gave the Jackals the 1-0 lead immediately after a Jackals power play ended at 13:26 of the first period. Ben Wright's blue line drive was blocked, and eventually wound up on the stick of Proulx who fired the puck glove side past Ford for the early advantage.
After a scoreless second period, Ben Wright scored his second goal of the season on the power play 55 seconds into the third period, taking a beautiful feed in the left circle from Justin Donati, who was stationed behind the goal line, and one timing it home for the 2-0 lead.
After a pair of Spencer Carbury goals, Maxime Gratchev gave the Jackals the lead once more. The rookie took the puck up the left wing boards, worked his way around multiple Stingrays defensemen, skated in on Ford, and backhanded the puck top shelf for the 3-2 lead at 12:22 of the third.
The Jackals were just seconds away from pulling out the victory, but the Tarkir goal tied the game at three and sent it to overtime. The game went to a shootout, where South Carolina's Nikita Kashirski and Rob Ricci sealed the game with a pair of goals. The Jackals failed to notch a goal in the shootout.
Michael-Lee Teslak made 30 saves on 33 Stingrays shots. Ford stopped 31 of 34 Jackals attempts.
Elmira heads to Charlotte, N.C. and Duluth, Ga. this weekend for games with the Charlotte Checkers and the Gwinnett Gladiators. The Jackals battle with the Checkers Friday and Sunday, with a game at Gwinnett sandwiched in on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 10, 2009
- Jackals Fall At Home In Thriller - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Tame Jackals 4-3 In Shootout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Release Goaltender Beau Erickson - Reading Royals
- O'Marra 5th Thunder Alum To Reach NHL - Stockton Thunder
- Salmon Kings Assigned Goaltender Keetley By Abbotsford - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Salmon Kings Announce A Series In November To Remember - Victoria Salmon Kings
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Salmon Kings, Dave Wheaton GMC And The Times - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Lemieux Assigned To Wranglers; Skilled Forward Assigned By Grand Rapids - Las Vegas Wranglers
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Reign's Darling Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Chiefs Make Trade With Cyclones - Johnstown Chiefs
- Florida's Micflikier Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Cyclones Acquire Ryan Del Monte In Trade With Johnstown - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Bakersfield Condors - Stockton Thunder
- Bakersfield Condors Vs. Stockton Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Idaho's Rome Suspended One Game - ECHL
- "Pow-Wow" Tonight, Jersey Auction Tomorrow - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Stingrays Face Elmira Tonight At 7:05 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers to Host Pink in the Rink on November 28th - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.