Jackalopes Shut Out Rush With 3-0 Win
(Odessa, TX) - Joel Martin stopped 28 shots and Collin Circelli tallied a pair of goals as the Odessa Jackalopes shut out the Rapid City Rush, 3-0, on Tuesday night in front of a crowd of 3,179.
The shutout was Martin's second of the season and the win pulled Odessa to within three points of winning the Southern Conference over the Allen Americans.
The Jackalopes controlled the first period thanks to Circelli's two goals. The Odessa forward grabbed a loose puck in front of the goal crease to score at 9:30. Circelli then scored again on the power play at 11:52, deflecting a shot from the right circle from Sebastien Thinel.
Odessa took a 3-0 lead on the man-advantage again, in the second period, as Kory Karlander scored from the bottom of the left circle at 2:04. The goal was the 300th of Karlander's pro career as the Jacks held the lead after two periods of play.
Joel Martin earned his 23rd win of the season. Rapid City's Danny Battochio took the loss despite stopped 38 shots.
The Jackalopes record improves to 43-11-4 on the season. They lead the Rush by five points for the top record in the CHL. The two teams will meet against on March 20th to close the regular season.
Circelli's first period power play goal extended Odessa's streak to 19 games with a man-advantage goal.
The Jackalopes now head out for a four-game road trip starting on Friday in Independence when the team visits the Missouri Mavericks for a weekend set. Game time is scheduled for 7:05 PM. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is in the middle of their 13th season in the Permian Basin. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2010
- IceRays Gain Point In 4-3 Shootout Loss To Arizona - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Allen Americans Weekly Notes - Allen Americans
- Arizona Keeps Playoff Chances Alive With 4-3 Shootout Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Jackalopes Shut Out Rush With 3-0 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mavericks Recognized In CHL's "Best Of The Best" Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Host Fan Appreciation Weekend - Rapid City Rush
- Killer Bees Tabbed In Annual "Best Of The Best Poll" - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- McNulty Nominated For Performance Of The Week - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colt King's Hat Trick Voted CHL Performance of the Week - CHL
- Bucks Teach Ladies Hockey 101 - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Well Represented In CHL's "Best Of The Best" Poll - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers, BOK In Best Of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Reminder: Thursday Game Moved To Next Week - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Arena, Fans Top 2010 Best Of The Best Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Well Represented In Best Of The Best Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Can Inch Closer To Playoffs Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs Recognized In Annual CHL "Best Of The Best" - Arizona Sundogs
- Nelson, Eagles Dominate "Best Of The Best" - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Win Four Best Of The Best Awards - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Among Best Of The Best - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Represented In Best Of The Best Poll - Laredo Bucks
- Gorillas rank among the "Best of the Best" - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL's Best Of The Best Poll Released - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.