Killer Bees Tabbed In Annual "Best Of The Best Poll"
HIDALGO, Texas --- The Central Hockey League (CHL) today released the results of the annual "Best of the Best" Poll and the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees were represented in seven categories. Highlighting the results for RGV was Brett Clouthier earning "Best Fighter" (Heavyweight) and Mascot Sir-Sting-A-Lot taking home "Best Mascot" honors for the second year in a row.
The annual poll is conducted among CHL insiders; players, coaches, media, broadcasters, etc. The voting covers 46 categories ranging from "Best Bodychecker" to "Best Host Hotel."
Clouthier, in his first season with RGV, has collected 10 fighting majors and 130 penalty minutes in 40 games this season. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound forward has also produced 12 points (7-5-12) including a game-winning goal.
Sir-Sting-A-Lot, RGV's lovable mascot, has been bringing smiles to fans young and old since the team began play in 2003. Besides entertaining fans at State Farm Arena, Sir-Sting-A-Lot has made hundreds of community appearances over the years.
The team earned "Best Game Notes" for its game day media packet available in the press box, locker rooms and online at www.killerbeehockey.com. For the second straight year, the team also took home second place in the "Best Team Website" list.
RGV also checked in with second place for "Best On-Ice Promotions" for between period entertainment on the ice.
The team was voted third-best in a pair of categories; "Best Locker Rooms" and "Best Team Uniforms."
RGV returns home this Thursday (10:30 a.m. vs. Arizona) and Friday (7:30 p.m. vs. Laredo) riding a three-game winning streak as it makes a push to reach the President's Cup Playoffs. The Killer Bees are two points behind Corpus Christi for the final spot in the Southern Conference and plays Corpus on the road this Saturday night.
Tickets for all games at State Farm Arena are available at all TicketMaster outlets, including the arena box office, and online at www.killerbeehockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2010
- IceRays Gain Point In 4-3 Shootout Loss To Arizona - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Allen Americans Weekly Notes - Allen Americans
- Arizona Keeps Playoff Chances Alive With 4-3 Shootout Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Jackalopes Shut Out Rush With 3-0 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mavericks Recognized In CHL's "Best Of The Best" Poll - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Host Fan Appreciation Weekend - Rapid City Rush
- Killer Bees Tabbed In Annual "Best Of The Best Poll" - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- McNulty Nominated For Performance Of The Week - Mississippi RiverKings
- Colt King's Hat Trick Voted CHL Performance of the Week - CHL
- Bucks Teach Ladies Hockey 101 - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Well Represented In CHL's "Best Of The Best" Poll - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers, BOK In Best Of Best - Tulsa Oilers
- Reminder: Thursday Game Moved To Next Week - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Arena, Fans Top 2010 Best Of The Best Poll - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Well Represented In Best Of The Best Poll - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Can Inch Closer To Playoffs Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Sundogs Recognized In Annual CHL "Best Of The Best" - Arizona Sundogs
- Nelson, Eagles Dominate "Best Of The Best" - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Win Four Best Of The Best Awards - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Among Best Of The Best - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Represented In Best Of The Best Poll - Laredo Bucks
- Gorillas rank among the "Best of the Best" - Amarillo Gorillas
- CHL's Best Of The Best Poll Released - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.