Indy Falls to Wheeling in Tight Contest
WHEELING - Playing the first half of a home and home series, the Indy Fuel visited the Wheeling Nailers on Wednesday night. Wheeling would take the lead in the first period thanks to a Patrick McNally goal before Indy's Willie Raskob tied the game in the second. Wheeling would score two unanswered goals to eventually take the 3-1 win over Indy.
After controlling the first five minutes of the period, Indy would be the first team to give up a goal when Josh Winquist fed an open Patrick McNally in front of the net and he tapped the puck past Tom Aubrun. Outshooting the Nailers 7-5 through the first 20 minutes, Indy would be unable to beat Shane Starrett, sending them into the locker room down 1-0.
Earning a power play early halfway through the second period, Indy's Willie Raskob would tie the game at one goal each after he launched a puck from the blue line and beat Shane Starrett. Late in the second period, Wheeling would put several shots on Tom Aubrun before Patrick Watling eventually put a deflected shot into the Indy net to give the Nailers a 2-1 lead.
Through the first half of the final 20 minutes, both teams traded chances but nobody would be able to capitalize. Although outshooting the Nailers through the remainder of the third period, Indy would not be able to beat Starrett. Taking advantage of a blocked shot in front of the Indy net, Austin Fyten buried a shot through the five-hole of Tom Aubrun to send Indy home with a 3-1 loss.
Single-Game tickets are now available for Fuel seventh season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of full season, 18 ticket and 12 ticket flex packages by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 14, 2021
- Rabbits Go Penalty Free, Fall to Everblades 4-1 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Luchuk, LeBlanc lift Solar Bears past Stingrays in wild 7-6 finish - Orlando Solar Bears
- Orlando Finds Late Winner in Wild 7-6 Finish - South Carolina Stingrays
- Big Second Period Leads to Blades Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Get the Job Done against Indy - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Falls to Wheeling in Tight Contest - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - April 14 - ECHL
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Rapid City, 8:05 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Everblades, 7:30 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Hammond Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Aim to Distribute Half a Million Pounds of Food in Partnership with Mass. Military Support Foundation - Worcester Railers HC
- Everblades to Host Jersey Auction for Nickelodeon Night - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Solar Bears, April 14 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: Midweek Date with Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Preview: Opener of 3 Game Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.