Indians Outlast RailRiders
DIANAPOLIS, - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and Indianapolis Indians traded blows early in Wednesday's game, but the Indians got the last laugh with a go-ahead run in the bottom of the 5th inning to take the lead for good in a 6-5 win.
The RailRiders got on the board in the 1st inning without the benefit of a hit, spotting David Hale a 1-0 lead. The right-hander lasted three innings on a beautiful morning for baseball at Victory Field. He surrendered two runs in the 2nd inning and three more runs in the 3rd inning as Indy jumped ahead 5-3.
Ultimately, the RailRiders connected for a Brad Miller home run in the 4th inning to cut into the deficit, 5-4. An inning later, newcomer Breyvic Valera launched a homer onto the berm in right field in the 5th inning to tie the game 5-5. The bottom of the 5th inning featured a go-ahead RBI single from Jose Osuna, who drove in Kevin Kramer. The Indians second baseman finished 3-for-4 and that was the third of the three runs he scored in the game.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre received positive offensive performances from Tyler Wade, who went 2-for-5 with a run-scoring triple. He also scored a run and stole his first bag of the seaon with the RailRiders. Wade was drive home by Ryan Lavarnway, which was one of his two RBI in the game.
The bullpen was strong in relief of Hale. Despite getting tagged with the loss, Rex Brothers fanned four batters over a season-high 3.0 innings, allowing just the one run in the 5th inning. David Sosebee tossed the final two innings, going 6-up and 6-down.
The RailRiders and Indians return to action Thursday morning with an 11:05 a.m. first pitch as SWB looks to avoid a series sweep at the hands of Indianapolis. RHP Drew Hutchison (2-2, 6.75) takes the ball against Indianapolis' RHP Dario Agrazal (2-0, 1.25). Pregame coverage with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino begins at 10:35 a.m. on the RailRiders Radio Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bisons Let Stripers Go Yard Five Times in 6-2 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19) - Gwinnett Stripers
- Skole Smashes Knights Past Red Wings 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs - Durham Bulls
- Pigs losing streak extends to eight games - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats and Mets Split Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Clubs Four Homers on Way to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Syracuse Splits Wednesday Doubleheader with Louisville - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Homer in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (16-21) at Syracuse Mets (21-15) - Louisville Bats
- Ten Hits Lead Tribe Past RailRiders, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Outlast RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 'Buffalo Wings Baseball' Returns with New Design Paying Tribute to 'The Flat' - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Ballpark Project to Offer $10,000 Grants - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (19-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-15) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.