Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.)
y 15, 2019 | 6:05 p.m. ET | Sahlen Field | Buffalo, NY | Game # 36| Home Game # 16
BUFFALO BISONS (14-20, T-4, -6.0 North) vs. GWINNETT STRIPERS (22-16, 2nd, -0.5 South)
RHP Jacob Waguespack (2-4, 5.60) vs. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-1, 7.11)
Radio: ESPN 1520 AM, TuneIn App, Bisons.com TV: MiLB.tv
This evening the Bisons and Gwinnett Stripers will play the second of their three-game series at Sahlen Field. Buffalo will look to even the series following a loss in the first game. After the conclusion of the series with Gwinnett on Thursday, the Bisons will continue their homestand against the Louisville Bats.
Last Game: BUF 3, GWN 11
After a pitching duel through five innings, the Bisons gave up 11 runs between the sixth and seventh-innings to drop the opening game of the series. The Herd racked up eight total hits, including RBI singles from Andy Burns and Richard Urena, while scoring three runs overall. Gwinnett capitalized on their nine-hits, with the help of four Buffalo errors, to bring around 11 runs. A nine-run seventh by Gwinnett, highlighted by an Austin Riley grand slam, put the game out of reach for the Bisons.
The Bisons and Gwinnett Stripers will conclude their regular season series this week at Sahlen Field. Last week the Herd took two out of three from the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Buffalo is 15-23 all-time at home against Gwinnett, with the two teams splitting a four-game series in Downtown Buffalo last year.
Righty Jacob Waguespack takes the ball for his eighth start on the 2019 season. His last outing came against Gwinnett at Coolray Field on 5/8 where he gave up six runs, including two home runs, over five innings. Today, he looks to bounce back and earn his third win of the season and improve upon his team leading 40 strikeouts.
Andy Burns managed to hit his first triple of the year on a line drive into right field with two outs in the fifth inning on Tuesday. He drove in Reese McGuire and picked up his 11th RBI of the season, then proceeded to score on a double steal in the same inning.
Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
Lourdes Gurriel Jr. hit the team's lone double in the losing effort off of LHP Thomas Burrows in the eighth. Following two hit-by-pitches and an Anthony Alford single, Gurriel came around to score in the same frame. He finished 1-4 on the night with a 2B and a run scored, bringing his batting average to .301 on the year.
Andrew Sopko came out strong in his first Triple-A start for the Bisons going 5.2 IP while giving up two-unearned runs on just three hits. He exited the game maintaining a 0.00 ERA while piling up four strikeouts and two walks in what turned out to be a no-decision for the young right hander.
Blue Jays Update
Toronto (17-24) opened their two-game set against San Francisco with a 7-3 win. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit his first two jor League home runs in the winning effort. The Blue Jays continue their six-game road trip with another game against the Giants this afternoon at 3:45 EDT.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bisons Let Stripers Go Yard Five Times in 6-2 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19) - Gwinnett Stripers
- Skole Smashes Knights Past Red Wings 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs - Durham Bulls
- Pigs losing streak extends to eight games - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats and Mets Split Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Clubs Four Homers on Way to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Syracuse Splits Wednesday Doubleheader with Louisville - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Homer in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (16-21) at Syracuse Mets (21-15) - Louisville Bats
- Ten Hits Lead Tribe Past RailRiders, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Outlast RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 'Buffalo Wings Baseball' Returns with New Design Paying Tribute to 'The Flat' - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Ballpark Project to Offer $10,000 Grants - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (19-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-15) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Wing Fest Transitions to 'America's Greatest Chicken Wing Party'ÃÂ
- Bisons GM Anthony Sprague: "We Miss You, Bisons Fans."
- Buffalo Bisons Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled
- Malacaro Joins Blue Jays Minor League Announcers in 'Around the Nest'
- Buffalo Bisons Charitable Foundation Donates $20,000 to City of Buffalo's COVID-19 Initiatives