Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19)
FFALO, NY. - The Gwinnett Stripers (23-16) hit five home runs en route to a 6-2 win over the Buffalo Bisons (14-21) Wednesday night in game two of the three-game series at Sahlen Field.
Scoring Recap: Rafael Ortega (8) broke a scoreless tie in the top of the third inning with a solo homer to right off Bisons starting pitcher Jacob Waguespack. In the bottom of the fourth, Gwinnett starting pitcher Ben Rowen surrendered the lead by giving up two runs on a single and back to back doubles by Lourdes Gurriel, Jr. and Cavan Biggio. Luis Marte (2) hit a two run shot in the top of the fifth off Waguespack to give the Stripers a 3-2 lead. Ryan LaMarre (3) drilled a solo homer off Waguespack in the top of the seventh to make it 4-2. Adam Duvall (12) smashed a solo homer to left off reliever Dusty Isaacs to extend the lead to 5-2 in the eighth. Ortega (9) hit his second homer in the top of the ninth off reliever Francisco Rios to round out the scoring.
Stripers Stats: Ortega broke out of a slump going 3-for-5 with two homers and two RBIs. Marte was 1-for-4 with a homer and two RBIs. Travis Demeritte was 2-for-4. Rowen, making his second spot start of the season, gave up two runs over 3.1 innings. The combination of Shane Carle (W, 1-0), Grant Dayton and Rafael De Paula (S, 4) combined to go 5.2 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
Bisons Stats: Andy Burns was 1-for-2 and Alen Hansen was 1-for-3. Waguespack (L, 2-5) went 7.0 innings with five hits, four runs (three earned) and three homers. Isaacs and Rios each pitched 1.0 inning and each gave up a solo homer.
Postgame Notes: It was the fourth time this season that the Stripers hit five homers in a game, the last coming on May 10 against Pawtucket at Coolray Field. Demeritte's 2-for-4 night extended his on-base streak to 18 games and his hitting streak to five games. Andres Blanco was 0-for-4 to end his hitting streak at seven games.
Next Game (Thursday, May 16): Gwinnett at Buffalo, 6:05 p.m. at Sahlen Field. RHP Bryse Wilson (1-3, 5.74 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Shawn Morimando (1-2, 9.00 ERA) for the Bisons. Radio Broadcast: 5:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bisons Let Stripers Go Yard Five Times in 6-2 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19) - Gwinnett Stripers
- Skole Smashes Knights Past Red Wings 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs - Durham Bulls
- Pigs losing streak extends to eight games - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats and Mets Split Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Clubs Four Homers on Way to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Syracuse Splits Wednesday Doubleheader with Louisville - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Homer in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (16-21) at Syracuse Mets (21-15) - Louisville Bats
- Ten Hits Lead Tribe Past RailRiders, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Outlast RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 'Buffalo Wings Baseball' Returns with New Design Paying Tribute to 'The Flat' - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Ballpark Project to Offer $10,000 Grants - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (19-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-15) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers Win Eighth Straight, Top Pawtucket 5-2
- Stripers Whip Pawtucket 7-5 for Seventh Straight Win
- Stripers Smack Four Homers, Rout Buffalo 11-2
- Homestand Highlights: Stripers Host First Xolos De Gwinnett Night, Ronald Acuna Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19)