Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs
RHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls got on the scoreboard early and did not let up, defeating the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 12-1 Wednesday night at the DBAP for the team's ninth win in its last 10 games. Jake Faria (3-1) recorded the win in relief of starter Jose De Leon, while JoJo Romero (2-2) suffered the loss.
After allowing six earned runs on eight hits when facing Durham last week, IronPigs starter JoJo Romero was roughed up early in the first inning, beginning with a two-RBI single by Mike Brosseau to put Durham in front 2-0. Nick Solak piled on with a two-run home run to deep left center field to take a 4-0 lead later in the frame.
The Bulls offense continued to pressure Romero, who gave up a two-run home run to Jake Smolinski, before exiting down 6-0 in the fourth inning. That did not stop the Bulls who got an RBI double from Jason Coats to extend the lead to 7-0 in the fifth. In the sixth Nate Lowe followed with an RBI double of his own to take an 8-0 lead, and Coats wasn't finished, tallying another RBI double for a nine-run advantage.
The IronPigs offense was held in check for much of the game, recording just four hits and one run on a Gift Ngoepe solo home run in the top of the seventh inning to cut the deficit to 9-1. Kean Wong silenced any comeback attempt with an RBI single to make it 10-1 in the seventh, and Brosseau drove in another run on an RBI sacrifice fly and Solak hit an RBI single to take a commanding 12-1 lead.
De Leon made his first start as a Bull since 2017, pitching 3.0 innings, allowing two hits and a walk, while striking out five on an MLB rehab appearance. Jake Faria pitched well in relief, going 4.0 innings, allowing two hits, one run and striking out six.
The Bulls wrap up a three-game series against the IronPigs on Thursday night at the DBAP, before beginning a three-game series against the Rochester Red Wings Friday evening.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Bisons Let Stripers Go Yard Five Times in 6-2 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Top Wings, 7-3, Wednesday in Charlotte - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Hits Five Home Runs, Bashes Buffalo, 6-2 (5.15.19) - Gwinnett Stripers
- Skole Smashes Knights Past Red Wings 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Start Fast, Roll over IronPigs - Durham Bulls
- Pigs losing streak extends to eight games - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bats and Mets Split Doubleheader - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Clubs Four Homers on Way to Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Syracuse Splits Wednesday Doubleheader with Louisville - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Homer in Front of Sold out Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (16-21) at Syracuse Mets (21-15) - Louisville Bats
- Ten Hits Lead Tribe Past RailRiders, 6-5 - Indianapolis Indians
- Indians Outlast RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 'Buffalo Wings Baseball' Returns with New Design Paying Tribute to 'The Flat' - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Gwinnett (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Ballpark Project to Offer $10,000 Grants - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (19-16) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (18-15) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.